Cigarette lighter dead

It seems the GTI I recently picked up has a few electrical "issues."

Cooling fan wasn't working - but a new temperature sender has solved that (I think as I haven't heard it in a while...). Shortly after the temp sender was fitted, however, one of the 30A fuses on the busbar under the bonnet went blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> but that's been replaced and I was shown that the fan does come on (at that point in time, at least).

Ciggie lighter (into which the navigation that I need to get around a city I'm not familar with plugs) worked fine for a little while, but now it's no joy. It's fuse (#49) in the main fuse box is fine. Replaced with a higher current one just to check and still no power at the lighter. Now sitting with no fuse in that slot at all until I figure this one out.

Could the radiator fan and the ciggie lighter not working be related in some way? I don't have a multimeter to check whether all the 30A fuses under the bonnet are still intact and I really don't want to start pulling random ones out. In fact, does anyone know what the fuses under the bonnet are for?

Does anyone know if there's a further in-line fuse to the lighter somewhere? Failing that, are there any pointers for how to dissmantle the lower console around the gearstick so I can get in and investigate? If I can't get my head round it, I'll take a (albeit lower amerage) supply to the lighter socket from somewhere else - where would you guys recommend - the back of the stereo?

A confused Deek.

my lighter has never worked, but the socket reads 13.3v

Ah well, that's where it gets interesting. Noticed that socket didn't appear to the working when I plugged in the satnav. So, of course, I plugged in the ciggie lighter itself to confirm this rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> So now I'm going to have to take it all appart to get that out anyway. Anyone know how?

I've checked the fuse in the box in the lower right dash - 15A / number 49 - and it's fine which makes me think there must be another fuse somewhere, or the socket itself has broken.

Deek.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried to get further with this today, but no luck.

The fuse in the fusebox is fine. My multimeter shows a complete ground circuit from the fuse box to the metal ring round the outside of the socket (remember that the lighter itself won't come out of the socket without power going to it).

I made a start on trying to get access to the loom behind. Removed the switches under the heater control and could see a loom heading that way. Couldn't fit my fingers in far enough to feel for an in-line fuse behind the lighter socket. Took the cover plate off the heater controls and removed all the torx bolts I could see, but couldn't work out how to get the plastic frame that sits behind both the buttons and the heater controls out.

So, two questions:

1/

How do you get access to the back of the ciggie lighter? - do this involve removing the central console (I fear it does), and if so - how do you do that. The how-to on this board for removing the dashboard just says "remove central console"!

2/

Will there be another fuse in the loom somewhere?

I hope you guys can help me out, I'm *really* stuck without the TomTom as I don't know this city at all.

Thanks,

Deek.

If you just need to get to the back of it to fiddle with the plug or something I can slip my hand up the side of the centre console from the drivers footwell. Its very bendy and you can just pull it out your way. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />