Paint Bubbling on rear spoiler

KennyGti

Yeah its warranty. Mines been replaced 3 months ago! Get it seen to before it runs out.

Think the story goes: The spoilers are not baked, and are painted off the car, so this can happen or something.

If you have your paint code and VIN number to hand they will sort it providing the cars within warranty period.

Bossjohn has had his spoiler replaced due to bubbling IIRC.

Yes, speak to him - I know it's been resprayed at least twice (three times I think, but not sure) and with the last time he had to pay a percentage cost of the work VW did (40% I think).

Damn, the bubbling on mines been getting worse during the 4 months that ive had the car but its out of warranty sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

It should be a widely known issue now - talk to your dealer and tell them to speak to VW as you know it to be a very common fault on GTIs.

It can happen for two reasons - 1) overbaked spoilers, and 2) (the common one) - leaks. This can be diagnosed by condensation in the high level brake light. Basically the spoiler gets saturated, water heats with the sun, expands and pushes the paint out. A saturated spoiler is a ruined spoiler - it needs replacing.

I had mine replaced once under warranty (resprayed 4 or 5 times), and when it came out of warranty I managed to get VW to pay 60% of the cost toward a new spoiler and brakelight. This still came to over £150. A couple of weeks after fitting, the brakelight was full of water again, so I took it back and they did a mass sealing job on it - so far so good.

It should be a widely known issue now - talk to your dealer and tell them to speak to VW as you know it to be a very common fault on GTIs.

It can happen for two reasons - 1) overbaked spoilers, and 2) (the common one) - leaks. This can be diagnosed by condensation in the high level brake light. Basically the spoiler gets saturated, water heats with the sun, expands and pushes the paint out. A saturated spoiler is a ruined spoiler - it needs replacing.

I had mine replaced once under warranty (resprayed 4 or 5 times), and when it came out of warranty I managed to get VW to pay 60% of the cost toward a new spoiler and brakelight. This still came to over £150. A couple of weeks after fitting, the brakelight was full of water again, so I took it back and they did a mass sealing job on it - so far so good.

I was half-way right.

Had the same problem on my GTi spoiler when i got it from GEORGE off here he sold it to me because his was replaced under waranty so this was spare, it is due to condensation as the boss saids or due to being baked at too high a temperature when new which kills the paint instantly and after a while (few years) the paint slowly starts to bubble off

the thing that makes the difference with the spoilers is theyre made from a fibergalss/plastic mix which needs extra care/prep/time when painting which is why there are a few paintwork related problems with them which are not seen on any other part of the car if yours is not replaced it needs to be rubbed down to bare surface at least where the present bubles are and not just scothced like the bodyshops usually do

wayne

noticed this same problem on tys lupo gti ....

cant remember but i think he was getting his done under warranty

Did indeed still haven't got it changed though haven't had time but they were going to do it under warranty no problem