tdi boost.

spaniel

right a friend of mine. has a tdi lupo 1.4 75 bhp. he has a larger intercooler that he wants to fit to it, and was planning on a chip. he was wondering if anyone has turned up the boost on the turbo and if so how? any info on this would be great and where to get a chip for it would be good too.

thanks

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> dan

it is possible to up the boost but the boost is controlled electronicly by a solenoid valve which is mounted on the bulkhead.

1. you could place a restrictor in one of the boost control hoses (not the one that goes to the air filter)

2. you could adjust the length of the wastegate control level on the turbocharger by undoing the nut then tuning the rod in (make it shorter)

but i couldn't reccomend either of these!!!

I got my tdi done with a Superchip & the difference it makes is awesome! I wouldnt bother with the larger intercooler, had a look into it & it wont make any real difference + it may actually give you more turbo lag which isn't good.

Oh & the boost is controlled by the ECU which in turn controls the N75, EGR, actuator etc etc. Whilst the restrictor in the N75 line can give a faster 'spike' in boost pick up, if you've already got the car chipped (or even in some standard cars) it can lead to overboosting & even shutting down into 'limp mode' which isn't good.

Edited by Max69vk

it is possible to up the boost but the boost is controlled electronicly by a solenoid valve which is mounted on the bulkhead.

1. you could place a restrictor in one of the boost control hoses (not the one that goes to the air filter)

2. you could adjust the length of the wastegate control level on the turbocharger by undoing the nut then tuning the rod in (make it shorter)

Wouldnt makeing the rod shorter open the waste gate? surly you would want to lengthen the rod.

WRONG...

Their is no true wastegate on the lupo 1.4 tdi's turbo charger as it is VNT type turbo which is electronically controlled

as for a "restrictor" this wont work, as it simply sends the ECU into error and drops you into "boost leak" mode, which means basically you'll end up running a 1.4 3-cyl SDI...

The boost pressure is only changeable by remapping the car completely.

Oh & the boost is controlled by the ECU which in turn controls the N75, EGR, actuator etc etc. Whilst the restrictor in the N75 line can give a faster 'spike' in boost pick up, if you've already got the car chipped (or even in some standard cars) it can lead to overboosting & even shutting down into 'limp mode' which isn't good.

What he said.

The Audi A2, VW Lupo & Arosa TDI all use the same lump & electronics. Part of the reason for the success of the modern turbo diesel has been the use of VNT turbos, because of the way it operates its like having a tiny turbo for faster spooling/pick up & then its 'morphs'* to act like a larger unit for higher end grunt.

*= Couldn't think of a more suitable word to use! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Edited by Max69vk

In the words of Tommy Cooper...... Just like that! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Thats very clever.

wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" /> flattery always goes a long way with me andi wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
who is the best for tuning

and what gains can be expected for the money?

looked at a company called cybox? ive also heard good things about jabbasport

i think jabbasport rule the roost for Diesel Remapping...

anyone who argues differently would not be able to prove a thing.

i think jabbasport rule the roost for Diesel Remapping...

anyone who argues differently would not be able to prove a thing.

I'll second that!!

From a personal point of view I'd have to go with superchips. Quality service & awesome results from their chips.

Dont Superchips just do a generic remap, whereby Jabba do a custom re-map?

Mark confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Its not a chip max... Believe me its not a chip...

As a small test, Remove your ECU and try opening it wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> completely bomb proof.

how much would a re-map cost at jabba?

im not after out and out power, i want it as reliable and economical as it was built, or better if thats possible

big power usually means a compromise to reliability, but a little more wouldnt hurt smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Its not a chip max... Believe me its not a chip...

As a small test, Remove your ECU and try opening it wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> completely bomb proof.

Yeah sorry, meant remap but 'chip' is just the first thing that seems to trip off the tongue tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />