ear phones

Crusoe

To be fair, if the Bose headphones are anything like most of the other stuff they make, a couple of tin cans and some wet string would sound better wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Bose are alright! They're not for the ultimate audiophile no, but for the average joe their stuff produces good sound with minimum effort on setup. If you spent the same amount hand picking components and spending a week setting it up, then you'd probably get something that was twice as good, but most people can't be bothered doing that and want something that's descreet.

With regards the headphones, then yes....they're a rip off tbh. My £30 Sennheisers are much better than Triports, but I was mearly using the Bose for reference as you can walk in to any Apple Store and have a listen wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> Needless to say...the Etymotics are fookin amazing for ear buds and IMO are the best sound you're gonna get from something that doesn't look like a Red Dwarf prop tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> Not to say that the Shure ones aren't good, but I think they're a little expensive for what they are competing against. Just a quick search of eBay finds these:

ER6i for £62

these:

ER6 for £59

and these:

ER4 for £133

Yeah. I accept that there's a lot of martketing crud when it comes to BOSE, but I've experienced a number of demos that are damn impressive. One in particular set out to mask the system as a separates system with huge speakers and an AMP, but then half way though they remove it all to reveal just an off the shelf BOSE surround system. It's definitely not the most amazing sounding thing in the world, but for nearly everyone who want's a simple easy to set up home cinema it does the job much better than most off the shelf things by Sony and the like.

They also have an impressive function that listens to the room and can counteract the effects of placing speakers in bookshelves. An extreme example placed the centre speaker in a sealed wooden box. The electronics then adjusted the output and very nearly made the thing sound normal again!

I would say the electronics are more advanced than the physical speakers, and there's no doubt they know what they're on about when they make serious PA systems that are used the world over.

As I said before, there's no doubt that they are easily bettered by a handbuilt system, but that requires all kinds of manual setup, special rooms, space and time.

It's possible to analyse any product and find major fault in it, but then it's usually because your looking at the product from the wrong point of view. Detailed study of the Jaguar X type will show up the fact that it has one of the worst naturally balanced chassis in production and has all kinds of compromises in it, but the people that buy them undoubtably don't care. They are probably mid 50s middle class and want a Jaguar! The fact that it would understeer off the road if it wasn't for it's EBD/TCS/ABS is beside the point to most people just as the fact that the paper used in the cones of a BOSE satallite speaker is rubbish quality is of such little concequence to the average consumer that it doesn't really matter.

In my experience, BOSE make some very trick audio gear that generates big sound from a very small device. The iPod speakers they make are fantastic and by far the best ones you can get. They don't compare to an iPod plugged into a £300 hi-fi, but then the people buying a sound dock evidently don't want a £300 hi-fi with plugs and cables.

I have the ER6i and I use them with my ipod.

They really do block out the sound, I can't hear a thing in a busy uni computer lab with them on.

Excellent clarity and detail, not difficult to listen to for hours on end.

But. They do lack bass, when you switch to the supplied foam earbuds this is partialy cured however, and they do retail at 110 quid! Overall, maybe not worth 110 quid, but as a luxury item, they are put up a good performance.

If you have bought Shures they should be just as good if not better, i've only seen good reviews!

As for BOSE, my dad has 2 bose systems in the house and one in the car. Their motto is 'better sound through research', and this holds true. Their systems are good, but what you are paying for are a bunch of patents applied to buget built systems, excellent tech, but not expensive to make. You will getter better bang for your buck looking elsewhere in a sound system - but I haven't listened to their headphones so cannot comment on their quality - though they are massive and 400 quid!

I wish they would use quality components and their tech in the same system, they would probably be able to make an awesome product!

Hope this helps

I have Sennheiser HD212 Pro's, HD280 Pro's, HD650 with the Cardas Upgrade cable. I have the standard (SN)apple ear buds for in ear. Plus a pair of Etymotic Research ER4P's and Shure E5C's.

I have the use of five different headphone amplifiers, ranging from 50mw per channel, to 3W per channel RMS. Solid state and Valve based.

The sound of in ear monitors is very subjective to the original recording of the music, source components, amplification and the fit in your ear canal. You have to play silly beggars to find the right size silicone rubber tip or foam tip. Then when you have, it takes practice to actually get them to seat in your ear. Unless you get a perfect fit the sound will not sound good, or they fall out of your ears. When you do get it right, everything is perfect sound wise, but it feels like your 'under water' as the earphones have sealed off your ear canal. It takes some getting used to, and can be uncomfortable for the first few days.

You might find this interesting reading. I've no idea of the truth or otherwise of it, all I know is that the Bose stuff I've heard doesn't convince me to pay their premium prices.

thanks for that link!

i am moving in a couple of weeks and am investing in a new home cinema/hi-fi system, i was considering getting a couple of bose's little speakers for the rears but after that i will reconsider.

anyone know of any speakers/amps or whatever they would recommend?

Anyway, back on topic. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Why do you need music when you run anyway? You'll concentrate a lot better on breathing, etc if you're not listening to music.

the shure's arrived this morning (don't you love when you order stuff online and it arrives the next day) sound is fantastic (agree with the slightly underwater sensation) though i do need to go through all the fitting kit now to get them to sit just right, small amount of pressure holding them in place adds a lot of extra base so it's not quite right yet.

quality is great, hard back case is cool, nice gold contacts and feel nicely put together. Tempted to bring my mp3 player to work to try them out but didn't expect them till tomorrow (make the laptop output sound grainy and flat)

edit- to answer bigmon, it stops me getting bored, rythm keeps me going and i find it helps me pace myself.

Edited by Crusoe

don't you love when you order stuff online and it arrives the next day

Down here in the civilised parts of the country, where the postman doesn't have to saddle up a pack-horse, that happens with pretty much everything.

out in the nice places where there is fresh air to breath, quiet police free roads and cheap houses - it can take a bit longer, especially when you order something in the afternoon

Bose arn't that bad. They are used in tv (such as top gear) theme parks (alton towers) some of the speakers there have been there for a long time and still are going 802's, there pro stuff is alot better.

Crusoe, try all the foams. But roll them in your finger tips so there really compressed, then pop them in your ear canals quick before they expand. Then hold them for 30 seconds and they should seal.

What ever you do, please dont force them in, I've been to hospital because I managed to insert an Etymotic tri-flange tip through my ear drum! It hurt for 2 weeks!!!

out in the nice places where there is fresh air to breath, quiet police free roads and cheap houses - it can take a bit longer, especially when you order something in the afternoon

We've got all that in Devon, but no cheap houses. mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

One the plus side, the wages are crap too! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />