Noise from AC???

I got a noise coming from the engine bay sound abit like over reving... but it coming from the AC. I know this as the noise is only there when the AC is on.. but goes as soon as i turn the fan off or AC off....

Does anyone know what it maybe? How it can be fixed?

Im thinking the AC may just need re-gassing, but any suggestion will be greatly recieved.

Neil

Its a '51 reg GTi if that makes any difference.

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The radiator fan: is that the big one behind the main radiator? Or is there another fan? The noise is there but the fan is not on at that moment.

Well if it's never been regassed, it needs regassing!

Would that cause a noise?

The A/C on my Fiat Bravo is a bit noisy - if it's the clutch release bearing (a/c clutch) is there any way I can test it? also what would a ballpark repair cost be?

Cheers

Well the Mrs was on the way to work today and stuck in traffic and the temp gauge went up to 110... and did not seem to come down... so noisey AC and a possible over heating prob... could the 2 be connected???

Well the Mrs was on the way to work today and stuck in traffic and the temp gauge went up to 110... and did not seem to come down... so noisey AC and a possible over heating prob... could the 2 be connected???

Yikes!

That doesn't sound good - I guess the two could be related, but I don't think I could tell you what's wrong confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

As for the clutch release bearing - it would make a kind of ringy sound, which you'd only notice when the A/C is on.

Regasses should (according to VW) be done every 2 years. Not having one done wouldn't make your A/C noisy, but consiquent damage through not servicing it could cause something to make a noise I guess...

Ok a few people have looked at the car tonight... seems to over get upto 100 and the fan never cuts in... Athough the 2 pipes to and from the rad are hot and flowing... its been suggested that it is the fan switch... so hopefully not a too bad repair bill...

No idea on the AC though yet... that will be invetigated tomorrow...