GTI International 2006

Tigz™

http://www.gtiinternational.co.uk/

Accommodation at Inters 2006

As airfields tend to be in the middle of nowhere, people attending for the weekend will normally require somewhere to stay. With this in mind, there are two options. You can camp, or lord-it-up in a local Hotel, B&B or guest house.

If you decide to camp (which we feel would be ideal for clubs this year), there is a GTI International camp site. It is not run or organised by ourselves, but by a company called Lutterworth Event Services, a team of fellow GTI enthusiasts. The charges are great value, especially if you stay for 2 (or more) nights. For more information and bookings, check out their website here.

Alternatively, if you value your creature comforts, we have compiled a list of local accommodation, including hotels, motels, B&B and self-catering establishments in the area, giving contact addresses and details of their distance from the event.

These are all establishments which (currently) have vacancies over the weekend of GTI International, so you can save yourself a lot of time and effort by using our list rather than trawling through travel brochures and other websites for addresses which might be many miles away.

Don't delay, though • previous experience is that all accommodation in the area soon becomes fully booked.

You can find the list here.

Advance ticket bookings

We are now able to take advance bookings for GTI International 2006. The website is still in progress and will be up and running very soon. Until then, all those wishing to book up early and make a saving can do so by clicking on the link below.

Click here to book in advance

https://www.secure-server-hosting.com/secut...87/gtiform.html

You will be taken to a secure server, where you can book in confidence.

• Trade spaces are being booked up fairly quickly and Premium spots are going fast. These take the form of a large indoor exhibition hall and premium track-side units • allowing display space and easy access to the Sprint. For more information on these, and the outdoor trade areas, please call Christa on 01525 750504 or alternatively, email us at gti@autometrix.co.uk for a trade pack.

• Several of the traders who have already booked are looking into the prospect of arranging special driving activities as part of their presence at GTI International 2006. Nothing has been organised just yet, but we will let you know if anything is made firm.

• We are throwing the doors open to clubs this year. In the past, the emphasis has been on offering clubs a premium space amongst the trade to promote themselves • partly as a reaction to comments regarding previous years, where the club display area has taken the form of a giant car park. This year, however, we have a massive area of grass next to the main trade area and opposite the main display areas. Clubs are welcome to book a space • free of charge smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> • and fill it however they wish. In fact, this year, club displays will be judged! We are running several inter-club activities, the results of which will all be taken into account when judging the 'best club display' award. To find out more, contact the Club Display Manager, Shane by calling him on: 07944 490 431 or emailing: shanechung@autometrix.co.uk

A full itinerary of inter-club events will appear on the GTI International website very soon.

• New for this year is the Cover Cars display. With the co-operation of Performance VW and Golf+ magazines, we are organising a special line-up of ex-cover cars and previous show winners. In conversation with Performance VW's editor, Elliott Roberts, it seems that many cars which get built, shown, and featured seem to disappear and are rarely seen again. We aim to rectify that this year, with a display of cars many will recognise and hopefully a few surprises thrown in!

As you will no doubt be aware by now, the event is moving to a new home, one which we hope will be more ideally located. Right in the centre of the country, Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground will be well known to many as the high-speed test facility and playground for magazines and TV shows. You can read a little about the site's history here.

Planning is in full swing for this year's event. We have revised the layout to try and bring the show back into a more central area. There will be trade plots running alongside part of the sprint, this will also enable spectators to see more of the sprint action. We are also re-introducing an indoor trade area. As well as this we are planning the following attractions:

• We are offering clubs free space for displaying cars. There is plenty of space available, but if you want a good spot, book early! A prize for the best display is up for grabs, so make an effort to impress

• There will be inter-club competitions, as well as a Miss GTI International contest (for political reasons, there will also be a Mister GTI International!).

• We are actively encouraging more European attendance, inviting many clubs from abroad. We hope to attract a wider variety of foreign show cars this year too. As well as this, we will be inviting special show and demonstration vehicles from abroad.

• A sound-off is being considered. We are currently looking for a reputable firm to help run this aspect of the show. (If you can help • please email us here).

• A special display of former cover cars is being organised in conjunction with Performance VW and Golf+ magazines. We will also be trying to get together a display of previous show-winners.

• The Undesirables return for 2006 and we are hoping for a much larger attendance this year.

There is a special camp site set up for 2006. The site is large and there will be running water and showers available, as well as evening entertainment. It is run independently by Lutterworth Event Services and more information and online booking can be found here.

https://sslrelay.com/www.lutterwortheventse...ndex.shopscript

Edited by Tigz

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£45 per person including the camping!

im begining to think this sounds like a good idea.. jus to see if this show could possibly get any worse. tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

i'll bring my wellies this year even tho it's later now you jus know it's gonna rain anyway.

Im not going now I know its £55.

you know what i didn't even think about what i jus wrote.

55quid is f*kin disgusting mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

10quid for the e38 weekend or that??

not a hard choice i think.

I have been every year since 1996 and it has steadily got worse, The only good thing is its getting closer to Scotland, it was a fair trek to Ipswich & Crowthorne. This would be my 10th anniversary at GTI Inters should I go just for that. Mmmmm question.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":question:" border="0" alt="question.gif" /> Probably not..

Inters at the TRL was the best... but it just got too big for Crowthorne.

The place they went to in 2002 was sh*t (I forget where it was...) and Ipswich hasn't been *that* much better.

I'm tempted to go to Brunters just to see what its like - give it one last go. At least it doesn't clash with Worthersee this year.

Inters at the TRL was the best... but it just got too big for Crowthorne.

The place they went to in 2002 was sh*t (I forget where it was...) and Ipswich hasn't been *that* much better.

I'm tempted to go to Brunters just to see what its like - give it one last go. At least it doesn't clash with Worthersee this year.

It was sh*t it was somewhere out the M4 I think, on the top of a hill and all on grass, I forgot about that one, thats how good it was rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Come on everyone ..we in Leicestershire do try harder than anyone else biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> I agree this show has got worse but I think it was due to the venues but the Midlands will be the best and we will look after everyone biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

£55. Errr no thanks.

Edition 38 for me every time...that was the best car show I have ever been to in my life...and I have been to lots believe me.

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Their laughing at us like we're mugs...

After last year I gave up on Inters, the trouble is their still hoping we'll go because of the history anyone remember when it was THE show, and the continant came to us?

Sad to say but E38 is now what Inters was, a real pitty.

Seen as Autometrix doesn't seem to want to return to the forum to answer our questions, I've asked them again on their site.

Wonder if they will bother to respond there either

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=20...941753734736373

Edited by Tigz

Seen as Autometrix doesn't seem to want to return to the forum to answer our questions, I've asked them again on their site.

Wonder if they will bother to respond there either

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=20...941753734736373

At lease you've informed them (in a round about way) that no-one coming. I doubt they'll listen, they havent in the past. I still maintain its a real pitty its gone down the way it has.

I only hope Ed38 doesnt follow the same trend!

I'd doubt it, at lease for the forseable future as its a club event and not corperate.

I'd doubt it, at lease for the forseable future as its a club event and not corperate.

Thank god for that smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Whats the reason for such high prices?

£55 for the weekend seems a complete rip off.

When you think you can spend the weekend at Edition 38 for £15 including the weekend show, camping and show and shine.

I understand the camping is out of your control, as you are not organising that yourself, but would it not be passable to offer a discount on the ticket prices, for people who are camping and showing their cars?

I'm sorry, but there is no way I can afford £95 to pay for myself and girlfriend for a show.

From what I am reading on various forums, everyone feels the same.

After the past few poor years for GTI International, isn't this year the time to try and put things right?

I was really looking forward to seeing the new location, but at that price I will leave it.

I feel you may find many others will be feeling the same way.

The prices for entry to GTI International are not high, particularly when you compare them to many other sporting events, shows and exhibitions which are attended by the public.

The entry charges had been held at the same level for 3 years but, because the costs of the event have increased considerably this year, the organisers have no option but to increase prices. We have done all we can to keep the increase as small as possible.

It is rather unreasonable to compare GTI International with a show such as Edition 38 where the infrastructure costs are far, far less. To give you some idea: the cost of providing the necessary safety fencing and barriers for the Sprint, Tyre Testing and other activities is in the region of

£15,000 (a single entry ticket for the event hardly covers the cost of just 1 metre of safety fencing and barrier).

The camping site is being organised by a separate organisation. The

provision includes toilets, showers, catering and entertainment on the

Saturday night and, when you weigh up the cost, you need to take these

factors into account.

We hope that tigz and his girlfriend will come along to GTI International. We have a much better site, right in the centre of the country, at a more favourable time of year, with a great many attractions and it promises to be the best show for many years.

And don't forget that, if you order your tickets on line (saving over 25 per cent) you will be entered into a draw and could even get your entry for nothing!

Taken from Edition38

The organiser of GTI International has asked me to post the following response to some of the comments on this thread:

'We thought it might be helpful if we addressed some of the concerns about GTI International which have appeared on this website recently.

Most of us have experience of the wide range of VW shows in this country and abroad. Some, like the Edition 38 show, are on what you might call a green field site, where there is little need for expensive infra-structure. At the other end of the scale are events at venues like Santa Pod, where there is an established sprint track so that the organisers of the event have no need to invest in equipment. The price they pay to be there obviously reflects this.

GTI International tends to fall in the middle because, although it is based on a green field site, or rather an airfield, there has to be a huge investment in order to create a safe environment in which cars can be driven at high speed. This is why the costs, and inevitably the entry prices, are always going to be relatively high.

Bearing this in mind, the prices for entry to GTI International are not that high, particularly when you compare them to many other sporting events, shows and exhibitions which are attended by the public.

The entry charges had been held at the same level for 3 years but, because the costs of the event have increased considerably this year, the organisers have no option but to increase prices. We have done all we can to keep the increase as small as possible.

It is rather unreasonable to compare GTI International with a show such as Edition 38 where the infra-structure costs are much much less. To give you some idea: the cost of providing the necessary safety fencing and barriers for the Sprint, Tyre Testing and other activities is in the region of £15,000. A single entry ticket for the event hardly covers the cost of 1 metre of safety fencing and barrier. The cost of insurance runs to many thousands of pounds and bear in mind that the majority of contractors have to be paid in advance. If the event were to be badly affected by rain, as has happened at Ben****ers, it is very difficult to recoup the investment.

The camping site is being organised by a separate organisation. The provision includes toilets, showers, catering and entertainment on the Saturday night and, when you weigh up the cost, you need to take these factors into account.

We make a charge to enter the Show 'n' Shine, partly to cover the cost of the trophies and organisation, but also to impress on entrants that the event is to be taken seriously. There have been times in the past when some visitors have decided that it is simply a privilege parking place, put their car in position, locked it and walked away for the day. We don't think that £10 is unreasonable.

One posting on the forum refers to the income which is gained from traders and exhibitors. This is substantial, but then it has to be. The cost of hiring a venue like Bruntingthorpe from Thursday to Monday (the show has to be built up and broken down) is enormous and the temporary buildings to house the exhibitors alone cost the best part of £20,000.

We have already referred to the cost of the safety barriers and fencing which we are obliged to position around the Sprint and Tyre Testing area. We don't, by the way, have any flexibility here; local Health and Safety inspectors will check that the level of protection for spectators is up to an approved standard. In addition to the barriers, the timing costs a further £3,000, and there is also the cost of the personnel who administer the Sprint, the safety team, and the ambulances and doctor we are obliged to have on site.

We feel that £6 per run is a fair price to pay but, to help enthusiastic sprinters, we are introducing discounts this year. The cost for a single run will remain at £6, with charges of £11 for two, £15 for three and at £4.50 per run if you book four or more.

Another change for this year is that those wishing to take part in the Sprint will be able to book tickets in advance, either by post or by visiting www.gtiinternational.co.uk .

We are also offering substantial discounts on entry to the show. You can achieve good reductions (over 25 %) by booking on line and, if you book in this way, you will be entered in a draw for additional free tickets.

We don't expect this to still all the criticism of GTI International which has appeared on this forum, but we hope it does give some insight into the complexities of such an event. All shows are different; some VW enthusiasts want a relaxed, low-cost event, while others want a show which offers something more.

We all have different ideas about what is right for us and, as the organisers of GTI International, we listen and read what is being said. When we think comments are justified, we consider how we can improve what we are offering, and we are always pleased when we come across suggestions for practical, sensible improvements'.