Perished rear shocker covers / bump stops

cardaft

About 2 months ago my arosa needed to have the near side rear shocker cover (which is also the bump stop) replaced under warantyas it had perished and the cover had fallen down.

Now the other side has done the same, so it is going in tomorrow for two rear shockers and will have to order the cover in.

is this a common problem?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Edited by cardaft

ive had no trouble withmine and its older than your mine is a 2001 model might have just been a dodgy batch or sumin :S

I wonder if they changed the material or something then, because the new one looks like different material and the other one is crumbling now and has fallen apart. Luckily its happened just within the waranty.

Yeah i suppose all things wear out, i would just thikn that they should last longer than three years thats all.

Its a bit of a strage set up usually the bump stop is compltely seperate to the shocker and cover though.

yeah, there are loads of speed bumps here, must go over about 5 speed bumps 4-5 time a day just to get to and from college 3 miles away!

Just glad they have gone while its under waranty smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by cardaft

The cover had dropped on one of mine on the lupo and the rubber cover had split and gone upwards a little. Shock absorber is still fine though so never done anything with it and the car still passed its mot as well.

Edited by Rookwise

I was told at my service that mine were perished. But when I got it lowered the mechanic showed me them and they were fine, just a bit dirty. This seems a bit fishy. Ask to see the parts they replaced.

I can see through the wheel arch that the off side one has gone and the cover has dropped down onto the shocker, the other side was the same a few months ago, but there replaced under waranty so its not as if im paying for them smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The cover had dropped on one of mine on the lupo and the rubber cover had split and gone upwards a little. Shock absorber is still fine though so never done anything with it and the car still passed its mot as well.

Thats good to hear as my car is getting MOT'd on saturday and the cover wont be in stock by then so it will be the same, the two rear shockers are getting replaced tomorrow though as the off side rear is leaking and the near side rear is quite a bit softer than the other side.

Took my car in tonight for the new rear shockers and order the shocker cover, ive got a new leon reference sport I think its a 1.6 (as it dont feel quick enough to be a 2.0) in bright red, such a nice car, very nice to drive smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

must go over about 5 speed bumps 4-5 time a day just to get to and from college 3 miles away!
same here mate except i have clear roads UNTIL i get to college then i have 3 rather large speed humps to get over which once its lowered will be rather tricky ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

and my mums 54 reg arosa 1.4 has had a shocker replaced and my 53 reg arosa 1.4 has had the rear shocker replaced Both of the were passenger side rear as they were making a noise huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

wayne

same here mate except i have clear roads UNTIL i get to college then i have 3 rather large speed humps to get over which once its lowered will be rather tricky ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

and my mums 54 reg arosa 1.4 has had a shocker replaced and my 53 reg arosa 1.4 has had the rear shocker replaced Both of the were passenger side rear as they were making a noise huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

wayne

Yeah mine also makes a noise, i hope new shockers will qure it, soon find out smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Hmmm got the car back tonight only the shockers were boxed wrong and therefore didnt fit, so its booked in again in about 2 weeks time

rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Bloody dealers.