Anyone got any ideas?

hey, just a quick question, my car just decided to cut out on me and when i restarted it wasnt firing on all cylinders from the sounds of things, really lumpy idle and lots of smelly black smoke comming out of the back! but when i drove off to get home it was fine, performance as usual no problems, when i got home again running at about 500rpm juddering, cutting out, and black smoke.

ive checked for head gasket syptoms i dont think its that, im thinking its ethier a spark plug/ht lead etc problem?

has anyone got any ideas as to what it could be?

thanks

James

Have you checked through all of your HT circuit? HT leads are well shielded and dry place but on my 1.0 the ditributor cap and rotor arm were badly pitted.

Changing them has made such a difference - still not going to break any records but fuel consumption is much better, car is better to drive and runs much better from cold. Not sure about your engine but may be worth just checking from plugs backwards.

Good luck.

Sounds like an ignition problem. Either plugs or a lead. Does you car have one or two coils? If it has a single coil one of them might be on the way out

I'm probably totally wrong, but does the Loop have coils? I thought (certainly on the GTi) it's just spark plugs and HT leads.

WATCH OUT!!! daves W-reg lupo done this the other week and then went BOOM! he blew the cylinder head on it , replaced the cylider head on it and got it back and is black smoking again , so be carefull incase yours goes the same way