Fitting Glovebox.....again

andy4976

I did it again was at my local breakers for my Punto Cab, and spotted a silver VW Polo Auto, smacked up the ass, interior totally complete and unmarked,( plate missing but guessing I would say 2002/2003) this time I took the complete bottom ½ of the dash, and also the centre consol, which runs between both front seats, also every piece of plastic trim and screw, I'm going to attempt to fit it sometime this week, BUT I have read several others members comments, stating you need to replace the passenger airbag, and replace with another, if this is the case I aint removing anything and pointless even trying to install..

Can somebody clarify please if I can keep the original airbag? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Should it fit I will post pictures of complete bottom 1/2 of dash installed.

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12316 thats the how too showing the bit that needs cutting out etc and from what i can remember its pretty much a straight on fit with no need at all for airbag replacement and mitch will confirm this

wayne

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12316 thats the how too showing the bit that needs cutting out etc and from what i can remember its pretty much a straight on fit with no need at all for airbag replacement and mitch will confirm this

wayne

Thank god for that, although I think I may loose my cup holders on the Lupo, as the polo had a blanking plate where the cupholders should be, also the plastic cover I took, which fits in the middle of the dash just above the centre consol which runs between both seats has a smaller space, the cupholders as a whole are to big to fit, unless the higher spec Polos have a diffrent size cupholder fitting.??

may start stripping her tonight,

I have the first two thirds (glovebox plus centre piece).

I seem to recall that the centre bit has a gap for the cupholders but I can't be sure if it's the right size.

It's yours if you want it, but you'll have to come and get it! (and take the whole lot)

Edit: By the way, I did all of the cutting / fitting to a certain point (I didn't drill any holes). I bottled it, especially as I didn't have the final 1/3 of the dash.

Edited by bossjohnc

hopefully itsb a MK5 bottom dash, soon find out,

bossjohn, if your selling the centre piece only and It would fit I may be interested, but not the other parts, pointless me buying when I already have them, + i would need them posted. . . . not asking for much am I...

I'm 10 miles outside Glasgow, to be honest mate I'd need to make sure it’s the part that I need as I have a feeling the part you have is the same one I have unless you removed the kit from a Polo with cup holders, if you did the centre piece you have will be a different shape to accommodate the cup holder unit.

can someone tell me why I am unable to access the photos in the " How to fit a glovebox" section, I have just removed complete bottom section of my dash and just wanted to check what to remove before I start hacking my dash to bits, from the look of it, I don't think this Polo dash will fit the Lupo...

I cant see the phots either (user posted image) angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> had the same problem the other night on here when looking at something else and got this same thing its like they get hosted for amonth then disapear confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

in what way do you think the dash will not fit? did the polo you got it from have round head lights like the lupo?

wayne

it was the exact same front as the lupo, big round headlights, with round dials, after complete bottom dash and centre consol removed, it would just not match up, spent quite a while, trying most of dash where glovebox fits would need to be cut away, cupholder would not fit due to size in centre, where centre consol meets, oddment try on drivers side would not line up properly with the light switch, which resulted in a gap, it just was;nt happening.

so I have put everything back as it should, unless someone can provide clear instruction on how to install with photos of the finished article it will be glovebox less

I 'll keep a hold of everything just now, my mate owns scrappy so if needed I can take it back, I take it your mate who has the photos has actually changed his Lupo dash to the Polo Dash ?

it was the exact same front as the lupo, big round headlights,
mate thats your problem you have a mk6 bottom dash whereas you need the bottom dash out of the mk5 polo which has the squarer headlights and the dash looks identical to the lupo with the addition of the glovebox, the mk6 dash is quite different, from what i saw when i was inspecting a polo in my scrappys which had no front end

Correct me if im wrong people

wayne

Correct me if im wrong people

Didnt ready it was a mk6 blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

The mans got a point shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

thankyou , i know because when i was loking at the frontless polo in my scrappys i was instantly after the glovebox but looked at the rear lights and it told me it was a mk6 and after climbing a bit i noticed how different the dash was

wayne

you have a mk6 bottom dash whereas you need the bottom dash out of the mk5 polo

Absolutally right.

The glovebox I tried in my car was out of my mates Polo Gti (MK5). Glovebox fits fine but it is the centre console trim that is a pain. The Polo has climate, the Lupo a silly coin tray and the trim around here is quite different between the two cars. Maybe a lower spec MK5 without climate will be the answer...never seen one myself so don't know on that.

all makes sense now. I was'nt aware the MK5 polo has the same dashboard with round dials, makes perfect sense why it does'nt fit as its from the MK6, cheers for all the help guys, back to to square one, I'll take evrything back and keep an eye out for the MK5 polo, now that I know what it looks like.

watch this space.

Thanks