Lupo Spaceframe Build

1 Litre Screamer

Will do!

Are you bringing this car to any meets/shows? gti spring fest by anychance?

would love to see it in the flesh. not that theres much flesh left.

Edited by Petrified

Will do!

Are you bringing this car to any meets/shows? gti spring fest by anychance?

would love to see it in the flesh. not that theres much flesh left.

Hopefully i'll be coming along with it, I'm still stuck for time to get things done at the moment as work has taken over life for a while,(due to a few members of staff that are no more!) But even if i still have the VW engine in i'll come along.

1LS, have you got any pictures of the engine?

My little sister had a Mk1 1.0. Hers had PAS on a 1998 model, and it was poverty spec.

sorry, i didnt see this yesterday! heres the engine crated. mmmm! newengine.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

2engines.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

I've been working on the lupo over the weekend, seats were out, all of the internal trim except the dashboard is out, carpet out, sound proofing out. exhaust heat sheild gone and engine cover removed. I've started on the wiring looms now. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> lupo is much quicker.

sorry a few questions,,

do you have the racing battery fitted now?

any chance of getting a pic of your engine bay?

what did you use for the rear wiper blank?

are you using a coilover kit? or is it lowered? mine is like on stilts at the moment. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

sorry a few questions,,

do you have the racing battery fitted now?

any chance of getting a pic of your engine bay?

what did you use for the rear wiper blank?

are you using a coilover kit? or is it lowered? mine is like on stilts at the moment. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I like to hear about cars getting lighter!. Ok, question time,

The racing battery was fitted but i had to go back to the original for the moment as it didnt like to turn the VW engine over, it wont have any trouble with the new engine though. I fitted it behind the passenger seat in a small glass fibre box.

Pics of the engine bay, well i can do some but it still looks standard, if you have taken the engine cover off then it should be the same as yours, biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

The rear wiper blank is just a simple rubber blanking grommet that i bought from a car spares shop. I put a little black silicone sealant on the inside of the grommet just to make sure i didnt have any unwanted leaks.

I'm using the standard dampers with -40mm springs, I am waiting until the whole thing is complete before i go out to buy any suspension, this is due to the lupo kits having the spring and damping rates set for a heavier car. So once i get the final weight and balance i can get on to the coilovers.

Nice one, it's a bit of a pain trying to get the looms out when they are attached to the same one as the rear lights!

I currently working on:

Boot central locking

Rear wiper/hose

Silly endless interior light

and what may be rear speaker wiring?

Aerial is staying where it is for the moment rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Then the fogs...

At least at the moment I have the 100bhp engine to play with laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I just want to get it weighed now.

Did you put a link up somewhere to some pics of it on the track?

James.

Nice one, it's a bit of a pain trying to get the looms out when they are attached to the same one as the rear lights!

I currently working on:

Boot central locking

Rear wiper/hose

Silly endless interior light

and what may be rear speaker wiring?

Aerial is staying where it is for the moment rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Then the fogs...

At least at the moment I have the 100bhp engine to play with laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I just want to get it weighed now.

Did you put a link up somewhere to some pics of it on the track?

James.

The link to the pictures at silverstone is HERE

I didnt have the central locking to sort as mine is the base E model but the rest of the silly wiring will be the same. On the left of the car where the rear light wires run, count how many go into the boot! its bloody amazing, i did away with the heated rear screen wiring and relays too, this saved a fair amount of weight. If i remember correctly i took out around 8kg of wire on the left alone..

projects coming along nicely and as yo say it is amazing how heavy wiring is i learnt that when i brought my amp wiring kit and couldnt believe how a pack of wiring could be soo heavy surprise.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":surprise:" border="0" alt="surprise.gif" /> can imagine how quick it would be without all that

any progress on the engine mounts?

wayne

projects coming along nicely and as yo say it is amazing how heavy wiring is i learnt that when i brought my amp wiring kit and couldnt believe how a pack of wiring could be soo heavy surprise.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":surprise:" border="0" alt="surprise.gif" /> can imagine how quick it would be without all that

any progress on the engine mounts?

wayne

If car manufacturers made the wiring to do the bare minimum and then fitted a resonable amount of bhp up front they would make a monster of a car.Back to the orirginal GTI's and pocket rockets,not these 2 ton electric everythings! Anyway, the engine mounts are sorted, theyre away been slightly moddified at the mo.

well it's all going.. strippingtheloop1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

you can see the heavy sound deadening behind the dash just waiting to be pulled out. and eventually the whole dash strippingtheloop2.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

dirty engine bay (115k's worth of dirt), a few things removed (heat sheild and warm air duct), waiting on an induction kit to free up a few kg's of airbox/ducting. cambelt change coming up soon strippingtheloop3.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

poor dirty lupo, lightening has it's bad points strippingtheloop4.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

poor dirty lupo, lightening has it's bad points strippingtheloop4.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

Thats what i like to see, lupo's stripped out! I had the same rife height issues, i fitted -40mm springs and the rear stil looked like it was reardy to go off roading!. I eventually got the angle gringer out and lightened a coil from the rears. Then heated the spring and tighted the diameter to match the platform, not the best solution but it really did need to come down. Coilovers soon for me ( i hope).

i notice there is no pre-cat on ure manifold in that picture, whats that all about?

I'm not sure but according to longlife exhausts I can have a decat without having issues with the lamba sensor or something, im not too clued up with these things so not sure if they were making it up! and apparently they changed the rule in 2000.. not really sure tho confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

The engine is an AUB code built in 1999 im not sure if they're all like that?

As far as the lowering. I have picked up a set of springs from ecp, I cant afford coilovers right now but I need something! once I get the coilover I will sell them on here, shouldn't be too difficult, and they will only have a few k miles on them. plus my original springs are over 115k now.

This weekends work schedule is done! i need to make a small centre switch panel to fit under the handbrake, I also need to start wiring the indicators and lights onto the switches fitted to the steering wheel. I'm sure i can find more to do as i go along!!

Did you get anywhere with the carbon bonnet? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Also found out about the manifold. It only has a single lamba probe on the manifold, not on the cat or after the cat. cars after 2000 should have two probes fitted or something like that... it means I can have a decat with out the ecu complaining. dont know if that makes sense to anyone.

On the lupo I'm still trying to sort out wiring looms in the back of the car, cant decide whether to take off the heated rear screen... but it's all wrapped up with the washer tube, wiper and central locking.

plans for the weekend:

removal of fogs.

fit induction kit (lighter than the airbox/ducting

removal of redundant wiring looms

-40mm lowering springs (will be fun!)

finding a better wiper bung

maybe start on the dash.

and some work on the g40 catchtank/oil breather.

Edited by Petrified

Did you get anywhere with the carbon bonnet? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I will be making one but its a question of time and space at work. it gets rather messy making a large mould of something like a bonnet so i need to have the space and time to do it over a weekend at work,which at the moment isnt very easy to find! Dam formula 1 season. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

damn rain sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

at least springs and induction kit are on.

standard lupo front springs are 4.3 kg's, replacement front springs are 3.812 kg's

standard rear springs 2.12 kg's, replacement rear springs 2.43 kg's

standard airbox and some ducting 1.920 kg's. induction kit 0.724 kg's

finally removed rear wiper. 1.2kg's

. total weight saving 2.574 kg's neutral.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":neutral:" border="0" alt="neutral.gif" /> is it all worth it. twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" /> yup

damn rain sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

. total weight saving 2.574 kg's neutral.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":neutral:" border="0" alt="neutral.gif" /> is it all worth it. twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" /> yup

I too have been hit by the rain, i've got nothing done! Just hoping it's going to be a better day tomorrow, i must get the switch panel fitted.

As for the weight saving been worth it, well just carry on taking things off and then try to keep up with or beat really fast cars that the lupo shouldn't even be near! it really is good fun. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back! After a long think about it I bought a set of FK coilovers. Now the car goes around corners very very well. 130df25e.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

2adfea22.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

e49c154f.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

go on!

looks awesome, funny this is actually my favourite lupo blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

i bet it handles very well.

go on!

looks awesome, funny this is actually my favourite lupo blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

i bet it handles very well.

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> It handles amazingly well. I did expect the coilovers to be way too stiff for it but they are perfect. The whole car feels settled and as i turn into corners it fills you with so much confidence,which is nice!. I still have alot of adjustment left on the ride height but its low enough for everyday use, i'll deck it for the track though.