mid wales traffic cops

Loopy Lupo

Mate im not saying the level of service from the Police is great.

I know first hand how bad it is (from both sides)

Im just pointing out that if there is GATSOs and a man in a van with a camera bringing the money in, its not a bunch of traffic cops wasteing there time catching speeders.

yeah doddery old farts with trigger fingers in the vans!

sorry tigz but as Loopy Lupo has said some old trigger happy fool sitting in the back of a van is NOT my idea of police 'service' and nothing to do with public service IMO if they really cared about the public theyd respond to robberies and car thefts etc much faster or even attend in some cases would help

yet instead theyd rather make motorists nervous, that by just taking there eye of the speedo for ten seconds and doing the silly thing of actually watching where there going :shocked: they may have just got three points and a hefty insurance increase

I have 3 points. Was pulled over in heavy traffic coming back from work on a summer sunday evening. They basically had nothing better to do - was given 3 points and £60 fine because my battery wasn't tightened sufficiently to their liking.

Hmmm that sucks. We have the same problems with policemen (we call em plums) over here in Prague angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

Last time they went through all the spare bulbs but could find a bad 1 biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

This is crazy a battery not tightened to their liking huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> You think they had their belt tightened to your liking

Hmmm that sucks. We have the same problems with policemen (we call em plums) over here in Prague angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

Last time they went through all the spare bulbs but could find a bad 1 biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

This is crazy a battery not tightened to their liking huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> You think they had their belt tightened to your liking

I know what you mean. If they are bored have have no procecuted offences that day, they are more likely to be petty. What made it worse was they were police from another district and not officially liased with were i was driving. Apparently they doesn't matter anymore though. angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

yeah doddery old farts with trigger fingers in the vans!

Thats my point exactly Alex.

some old trigger happy fool sitting in the back of a van is NOT my idea of police 'service' and nothing to do with public service

You missing the point bud, the old trigger happy dude in a van meens its not a couple of £30k a year traffic cops sat at the side of the road.

I know what you mean. If they are bored have have no procecuted offences that day, they are more likely to be petty.

I disagree.

If they are bored and are watching the roads, and someone shoots past them they are going to prosecute for one reason only.

Your speeding.

We back to that subject again, if you dont want to be flashed by some random yellow box, or caught by the semi retired Police officer in a brightly painted van through his serving hatch, dont speed.

I understand if I speed theres every chance Im going to get caught, Im not going to blaime it on everyone else when I do.

I disagree.

If they are bored and are watching the roads, and someone shoots past them they are going to prosecute for one reason only.

Your speeding.

I wasn't speeding though...... I was prosecuted for 'insufficiently tightened battery'. I don't care how good the polices eyesight is, they cannot see that from outside.

Totally agree with the speeding though - if you're caught it's your own fault.

I think the real issue is not speed cameras or mobile speed vans, just in some areas the speed limits are really inappropriate, like look at the motorways... most ppl travel at 80, quite safely every day, but the speed limit is 70, and so even tho motorways are said to be the safest of britians roads, speed cameras are now starting to appear... and they prosecute ppl going at 80, so why not just bring up the speed limit for cars only to 80, then have speed cameras which I wouldnt mind, because if your doing over 80 on a motorway thats wen it starts getting a lot more dangerous.

Again in lots of city centres, there are ring roads closed to pedestrians but for some reason the speed limit is 40, even though most are dual-carraigeways crash barriers are in place - how about making these at least 60's then using the speed cameras already in place to police them.

Also while I shall continue on my rant... speed limits on country roads is 60, and I think this is perfectly fine, any faster and it cud get dangerous on some roads, but whats the point of putting up speed cameras on country roads where accidents have happened, as its pretty obvious to me that most accidents happen on country roads when a. someone goes too fast round a corner (but not necessarily the speed limit - 60 round a corner is very fast and in most cases in my opinion dangerous if ur not on a track) or b. when someone overtakes in a silly place and goes head on into another car (again... a lot of ppl drive at 40 down country roads, in most cases ppl overtaking mite not make 60) So personally I think speed cameras down these roads are a waste of money just coz there's been an accident down there doesnt mean it was speeding that caused it... and maybe they should use the £32,000 (I think) one speed camera costs to fund a traffic cops wages for a year? and get rid of some idiots off the roads.

id personally like to see more speed cameras in 30's outside schools and stuff and on straight country roads where speed really is a factor. I think the road safety camera partnerships just need to be sensible and think logically, and then if they got rid of inappapropriate money making speed cameras, and just put them in places where there is a genuine danger caused by speed, everyone would not be so anti-speed camera?

What you think?

I made a documentary on the ethics surrounding speed cameras. I interviewed the head of traffic/camera regulations of the Essex police. He stated that to position a speed camera, that area must have had 4 or more serious (ie: death) accidents that year. Yet, mobile speed cameras have no regulations and can simply be placed anywhere.

It's stastically proven: Speed cameras catch more and more people each year, yet road deaths and serious accidents rise. Therefore, surely the cameras are not doing what the government says they do.

I proved that they are there to generate revenue - when I researched, it was £24million a year.

I wasn't speeding though...... I was prosecuted for 'insufficiently tightened battery'. I don't care how good the polices eyesight is, they cannot see that from outside.

Totally agree with the speeding though - if you're caught it's your own fault.

I just wanted to say that sometimes I am a bit shocked by some policemens behaviour (and fantasy).

I agree with the speeding issue. I was snapped twice. Not a comfortable issue. So I am trying to be more careful.

But back to speeding issue...Keep it going but keep it also safe guys.

Edited by gabo

another thing is.... if a road has had 4 road deaths in a year, whats the distance of the road they have to be within? because im thinking of roads like the A34, A1, A38, A5, and they span hundreds of miles. Also if road safety improves on that stretch of road anyways, do they take them down again?

Also if road safety improves on that stretch of road anyways, do they take them down again?

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> sorry mate - that made me laugh! anyone ever known them remove any speed camera or decide not to put mobiles in a location because the road became safer??? me neither - i would say most of the time crap driving (not concentrating - lack of vision ahead etc) are the cause of accidents and not excessive speed....i'll say it again - they don't give a crap about the road safety angle - it's a money making scheme....if they did give a crap they would remove cameras where the accident rate has gone up - mostly because of the cameras!!

i've seen them take speed cameras down, but this is staffordshire... where the A34 between cannock and walsall has the most number of speed cameras per mile than any other road... think it something like 10 cameras on about a 3 mile stretch. lol

speed cameras are hazzardous fact lets say your coming along a road just come down a bank and your speed has knocked up to 35 nearly 40 in what you think is a 40 zone then out the corner of your eye you notice a yellow box hiden behind a tree what do you do first

A) check in you rear view mirror (as on test) and then gradually slow down

cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> check your speed and think nope im alright they would have put another sign up if the speed had changed?

C) not worry your doing the limit and cant be done?arent you?

D) think oh crap another 'scamera' and brake hard down to 25 as its probably changed to 30mph zone without saying

I know which i do as my insurance is expensive enough already without getting caught by some con artist at the side of the road

another thing is.... if a road has had 4 road deaths in a year, whats the distance of the road they have to be within? because im thinking of roads like the A34, A1, A38, A5, and they span hundreds of miles. Also if road safety improves on that stretch of road anyways, do they take them down again?

I think it has to be within a certain area - residential has smaller footprints than say, an A road.

Believe it or not, if the camera is proven to reduce casualties, it is by law that it has to be taken down. they cost £24k each you know (the cheap ones) they have to recycle them!!

Does it involve bending Prescott and Blair over?

man, you read my mind mate! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

fingers crossed still haven't had owt through the post - hope i'm not jinxing myself! 3 days to go!