Broadband Advice

Tigz™

Iv just be able to get broadband (i live miles away from anywhere)

Im gona go demon or pipex for the £20 a month unlimited pagages, as i want unlimited and can get 1mb connection (quickest u can get in middle of no where)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

demon look best after looking at it as pipex want £20 realyt after first 3 months and only do a 250kb connection for that even tho it unlimited, so demon im going for, got to do it this week or next week to so il let u know how i get on!

It takes up to 15 days for the equipment to arrive so order early.

Spoke to AOL and complained about the phone call rise.

because of that, Im able to get out my contract early.

As soon as I cancel, it disconnects me, so I need to wait for the Demon stuff to arrive.

Thanks for the advice everyone smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I used to work for Freeserve (who changed there name to Tiscali)

The service was shocking.

It is still run by the same call centre.

The call centre in question in called Ventura.

Ventrua expect a 2 month turn around in staff.

I am not trusting someone who will have only worked there up to two month.

Freeserve changed to Wanadoo - Tiscali are Tiscali, nothing to do with Wanadoo...

I know this as was in the Sheffield narrowband tech support for them! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Tigz, did you do Freeserve customer services?

Oh... ooops my mistake.

Nar, I worked for Freeserve Retention.

I used to talk people out of cancelling there service.

"Yes I know the connection is bad. I used it myself. Its a problem for all suppliers, as BT still have the manopaly, and only provide some many lines. Within the next couple of months this will be changing when there time is up, and we'll get access to a lot more lines. ..." Blah Blah Blah...

This would be put in the memo, so next time they call, after they have had there next free month, a new tactic could be used.

lol ahh you lot smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

you dont have isdn, thats when you have two phone lines and use both lines to connect to the net to have a 128k digital line, was awesome before broadband but too exspensive now as you need to pay for each call

i had a 2 meg line last year, what a waste .. i managed 40 gig in the first month and it dropped every month untill i got to about 5 gig a month

you need to sit in front of the pc for 24 hours a day to make use of a 2 meg line , unless you running a server

same with the IP address, if you hosting a game sever then yea get static ( you keep the same IP) but there are programs to get around this if you need to

well my mate is about to sign up to one of their deals, I will warn him but Tiscali is the cheapest up here in Scotland, we don't get access to a telewest line so can't get bulldog etc

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All of the companies mentioned so far (that I've noticed) use a standard BT line, including Bulldog.

You should be able to get any of them if you can get BT's own ADSL.

If the telephone line on which you will receive broadband on, is currently an ISDN line, do you wish this to be converted to broadband?

Please read the information relating to this for further details

No idea what this meens.

Do I click no?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed you do smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i had a 2 meg line last year, what a waste .. i managed 40 gig in the first month and it dropped every month untill i got to about 5 gig a month

you need to sit in front of the pc for 24 hours a day to make use of a 2 meg line , unless you running a server

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sweeping statement!

I use 14gb per month solely listening to online radio stations.

2mbit may be useful for heavy downloaders, but it's also useful if you download little bits and pieces but want them fast. With new software like Nasa Worldwind and Google World, both of which download humongous amounts of data when being used, there's many reasons other than plain old downloading that a faster line is useful.

In my opinion it's worth it just to have pictures and stuff (even forum threads) load up to 4 times faster than before - which means I can spend *less* time at the PC, not more.

Good call Snoop.

If you are like me, you want fast downloads AND to sit in front of the computer 24 hours a day biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

2MB rocks for online gaming as well if you are into that.

Blackrat if you only use 5GB a month then why not change to a tariff where you only pay for 5GB a month but still get 2MB access...

It takes up to 15 days for the equipment to arrive so order early.

Spoke to AOL and complained about the phone call rise.

because of that, Im able to get out my contract early.

As soon as I cancel, it disconnects me, so I need to wait for the Demon stuff to arrive.

Thanks for the advice everyone smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> just ordered tigz. I did the19.99 deal, bloke on phone promise i could get 2mb line (tho bt say only 1mb as i live so far out, but we will see)

Is that what u went for? Let me know when urs comes through!

Ive got to cancel my AOL and be internet less for at least 14 days... unless I take the £25 package then they can swap me over straight away! lovely persons.

Ordered but it cant go through untill I clear the line.

They say they cant migrate on the £20 package, but can if I take a static IP address.

• 3 weeks later...

Desided to go with home office.

You get a static IP adress, which I dont need but at least I can migrate over.

Was looking at the site, and noticed you get 20mg of webspace free with the office package.

Always wanted some web space.

How much space is that?

Wht I meen is, not being a techie and that, how large a site will that space allow?

Would like to do something with sounds and videos.

If these are stored elsewhere, how much space does a site take?

If anyone knows a site anywhere, that they know how much space it takes that I could look at, that would be great smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Any idea on a program for building sites?

Ive used front page a few years back, but there really simple dull sites.

You know your site that I liked Jon?

How you can scroll down any text without scolling the page, when the curser is over the text.

Is this a code, or is it possable to do on a 'help ya build it' program?

20mb is about 20 mins of 128kb(cd quailty) music mate!

Oh and mines up and working fine, just got to get on xbox live!

Edited by Bikerz

• 2 weeks later...

Went live today. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

2.2mgps

Had to use my AOL modem as the Demon hasn't arrived yet, so cant see any point changeing now its set up.

Cant say Ive noticed any diffrence yet, but I expected browsing wouldnt be any faster.

Looking through readers rides is much nicer though.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Edited by Tigz

• 11 months later...

Ok, sorry again but heres another thread blast from the past.

been with Demon almost a year, and have been extremly happy with the service.

Has never gone done, payment always been nice and easy and I've always recieved 2.2 mbps.

Just checked with BT, they say I'm able to recieve 6.5 mbps.

Question is, should I change?

Looking on Here none of these stand out and say I'm not going to have any problems.

Was wondering if any of you know of any of the smaller lesser known companys I should be looking out for.

From Demon.

Good news - our tests indicate that your line can support a line speed of up to 6.5Mbps.

The actual broadband speed that your line can support will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which the highest possible stable rate will be set.

We currently estimate that we will upgrade your line in the week commencing Monday, November 27, 2006.

We would love to upgrade you sooner; however, our supplier, BT, have limited the amount of upgrades we can complete every week. This date is subject to change, as we are working hard to upgrade our customers more quickly, so please check back here regularly

Or should I wait it out for this?

Id wait - all broadband is the same speed pretty much , one will supply faster, then a week later they all make it faster, otherwise they wouldn't make any sales. It is reliability and customer service that counts.

Im with Demon as well and it rarely breaks and when it does the customer service is always very good.

Just realised I should be getting ours upgraded soon as well if you got that message.

Lookin at that lot mate you'd probably be better sticking with Demon! BT obviously prioritise line/speed upgrades for their customers over other bulk buyers (ie Demon), if you're happy with your current provider it may be worth sticking with them to see if you can get a ny loyalty 'bonus' from them, I did this with AOL & got my broadband speed uprgraded FOC & my monthly charge almost halved!

i work for Nildram/Pipex as tech support and get 4.5mb internet at home for free.

the majority of providers offering anything above 2mb are using BT's DSL MAX service to provide this.

DSL MAX ("up to" 8mb) is a good service if u live somewhere with barely any contention at the exchange, but if you live in a busy area then u can bank on your speeds being worse than a fixed rate service at busy times of the day.

Edited by Adam K