Lupo 1.0 engine codes and swaps

Shanks255

Hey Guys,

I'm pretty new here and have my own 1.0 lupo i bought from a friend for the measly sum of £200. It has 100,000 miles on it and i'm not too sure about the history of it. I've got the car to complete a charity car rally through Europe which will span about 10,000 miles so i kind of want it to be reliable.

I've found a engine on marketplace for dirt cheap that only has 50,000 miles on it and i was planning on either buying it for parts or just swapping the engine in alltogether. As i have a few engine codes coming up on the lupo including an egr code.

My question is about engine codes, I've been doing my research and i've come across the codes AER, AHT, ALD, ALL and ANV regarding 1.0L lupos. What is the difference between the codes and the engines and does it matter what code the engine i swap into the car is?

for reference the car is a lupo-e from 2001.

Thanks,

Aled

Typically just the bits that bolt on are different. Most of the 1L variants are the same basic engine (assuming same capacity and head configuration). Then you can simply unbolt all the bits and swap them over. But to make life easy, get the same code lump. Although the engine you have might be fine once you've done some restoration. They can last up to 250k miles. Most common problems are manifold leaks, ignition modules/leads and various sensors.

How are you going to deal with all the european ULEZ zones in various cities?

28 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Typically just the bits that bolt on are different. Most of the 1L variants are the same basic engine (assuming same capacity and head configuration). Then you can simply unbolt all the bits and swap them over. But to make life easy, get the same code lump. Although the engine you have might be fine once you've done some restoration. They can last up to 250k miles. Most common problems are manifold leaks, ignition modules/leads and various sensors.

How are you going to deal with all the european ULEZ zones in various cities?

that's good to know, just found the workshop manual for the lupo and i think the attached picture sums it up pretty good. - Looks like they are both the same engine as they both have the egr valve, so it looks like the swap is a go. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for any leaks. as for the ulez zones i don't plan on going into many cities but that is something i will need to research in the near future.

13 minutes ago, Rich said:

I wouldn't endurance test the 1.0.

You'll crack valves and it will fail. 

Find a better base. 

A 1.0 wouldn't be my first choice for long distance would have loved a 3L or even a 1.7SDI but beggars can't be choosers. Though it does fit the brief of small and ****, plus i'm hoping an engine with only 50,00 miles on it had plenty of life left in it. 

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 02.23.48.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rich said:

I have an sdi I could be convinced to part with.

Oooo, interesting. The mpg would be better with the sdi (idk what you guys get on average) but going off the rated mpg I'd be saving around £350 in fuel. 

Do the sdi’s have the 6 speed too? That might be more beneficial than a bigger engine tbh. Sitting at 3.5k on the motorway for hours is going to be slightly unpleasant. 

If it is available what would you be looking for it?

4 hours ago, Rich said:

I have a sdi I could be convinced to part with.

I agree with Frank. 
I want this. Frank is paying for it send him the bill. 

anyone wanna buy an A3? 

6 minutes ago, Shanks255 said:

Damn looks like the sdi has a waiting list ahaha. I’m sure i’ll make do with the 1.0 just fine. I’ll just have to take a pair of ear defenders with me. 

You don’t want anything off Rich anyways. He’s a stalker.

Who even are you? Do you want to buy it for me ? You should. It would please everyone ❤️

Yeah, please someone buy it for her. A happy Becs is a happy Lupo forum... :)

Go on @Rich, you have enough $$$ to retire now, along with all your investments? In fact bung some my way while you're at it 👍🏻😎

3 hours ago, mk2 said:

Go on @Rich, you have enough $$$ to retire now, along with all your investments? In fact bung some my way while you're at it 👍🏻😎

This is true. Imagine the great return of me??? Y’all be missing me too much…. ❤️

4 hours ago, mk2 said:

I have no £££. 

Everything is for sale unfortunately. 

The GTi will be up soon and many things are already for sale in many places. 

If the sdi is to go to Becca then I'm afraid someone shall have to pay for it. 

If you do some research and look to buy one they are rare now therefore I should actually get some much needed funds for this.