gti write up / reviews

mdubgti

anyone have any good links for gti write ups?

google isn't coming up with much

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Magazines are your best bet. I think there was a review on 4car, and of course, on EVO.co.uk you can access most past reviews and more importantly, Fast Fleet.

Evo ran a GTi as one of their fast fleet regulars, if you search this forum for such a thing, you will find that MattyB posted when they ended the term with the car, and I think he posted about what they said. That was a few years ago now, but its still on the forum as I was re-reading the post fairly recently.

Autocar have covered the Lupo GTi a couple of times, as have CAR.

I've kept every mag that I know of that has reviewed or mentioned the GTi, and have them semi organised into a folder, one day I'll so something with them. Thankyou again Andi for helping me keep that tradition.

And im the lucky owner of that fast fleet car........

Or maybe unlucky mate...sure it got a pasting with EVO. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Did you read the report when they nearly "lost" it. There was a stream of water running accross the road and it went a bit tail happy, think the driver gave it a bit of throttle and it corrected real well.

I bet your car has got a good history of some fantastic driving moments.

And im the lucky owner of that fast fleet car........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No crap! Never made the connection with the reg plate, but I see it now! Cool, for me, that just makes the car more special.

Mine was the Autocar car smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> on loan from VW. Dont think its helped him through into old age though sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

No link - but I have a hard copy of "C2 VTS V Cooper v Lupo GTI" in autotrader:

The most useful bit was the performance figures:

0-60:

C2 = 9.0 (dry)

Cooper = 9.4 (in wet)

Lupo = 8.6 (in wet)

30-70 through gears:

C2 = 8.9

Cooper = 9.7

Lupo = 8.1

30-50 in 3rd:

C2 = 5.3

Cooper = 6.2

Lupo = 4.4

40-60 in 4th:

C2 = 7.3

Cooper = 8.6

Lupo = 5.6

50-70 in 5th:

C2 = 11.0

Cooper = 13.2

Lupo = 8.2 (10.0 in 6th)

Nice to see the Lupo comes out best - it also shows how good the Lupo's mid-range punch is . . .

yer its suprising its mid range go even in a higher gear its pretty steady and progressive.... 8.6 to 60 is pretty good in the wet considering normally you wheel spin for that long in the wet (with the dunlops) tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> !

You would expect it to beat a cooper they really dont have anything had plenty try it and all fail lol!! rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

and the C2 managed 70 without falling apart! surprise.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":surprise:" border="0" alt="surprise.gif" />

Edited by Ty

For me it makes it cool that i own a car that Evo used to write up most of their reports, i just see it as having it's potential exploited. Although as far as i can tell Evo had two different GTi's one which had one of the L**UPO numberplates. It's quite daunting though when you look in the gallery and see your car staring back at you. I've got all the fast fleet reports off the archive on their website, i was thinking of emailing them though and seeing if they'd send me anything and as for the interesting life part, he's been to France and sat in a pen-haha!

Edited by Diamondblack

For me it makes it cool that i own a car that Evo used to write up most of their reports, i just see it as having it's potential exploited.  Although as far as i can tell Evo had two different GTi's one which had one of the L**UPO numberplates. It's quite daunting though when you look in the gallery and see your car staring back at you.  I've got all the fast fleet reports off the archive on their website, i was thinking of emailing them though and seeing if they'd send me anything and as for the interesting life part, he's been to France and sat in a pen-haha!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed, I think its very cool. One thing, 'sat in a pen'? huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

November 2001

Volkswagen Lupo GTI

A

fter a frantic week leading up to our deadline last month, I legged it home to pack for a trip to France – and quickly realised a rethink was in order if I was to get my luggage and my girlfriend's luggage into the Lupo's boot. One large squashy bag and one rucksack and it was full.

We were meeting up with some mates somewhere in Portsmouth and a high-speed blat down to the coast proved that the Lupo is safe, refined and very mature on motorways. When we eventually found them and their battered looking Citroën AX they seemed impressed, saying that the Lupo looked like a 'double'ard bahs-tard'. That's definitely good.

Unfortunately, after we'd landed in France and travelled the 100-odd miles to Port Blanc, our Lupo was useless. You see, we

ADVERTISEMENT

were staying on a little island called Ille Aux Moines and they don't allow cars. So my little Lupo had to remain banged up in a car park on the mainland for a whole seven days!

After an excellent week it was good to return to Y924 DWL. I like the way it looks, and I'm not alone. The titchy VW attracts almost as many admiring glances as the Brabus Smart we used to run, plenty of them from drivers of lesser Lupos. Dream on, punks.

Quite a few more people got to see the Lupo before I arrived home. I woke from the overnight sea crossing to find one of my friends had accidentally booked the wrong return tickets. Instead of Portsmouth, we were now docking in Plymouth. So my 75-mile journey back to The Smoke became a 250-mile trek. Cheers mate.

Words/Pictures: Chee-Chiu Le

I remember the article well, but I still don't get what you mean smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> 'sat in a pen'?

On thinking about it, sat in a pen, you mean parked up as it couldn't goto the island?

Edited by AndyW

No link - but I have a hard copy of "C2 VTS V Cooper v Lupo GTI" in autotrader:

The most useful bit was the performance figures:

0-60:

C2 = 9.0 (dry)

Cooper = 9.4 (in wet)

Lupo = 8.6 (in wet)

30-70 through gears:

C2 = 8.9

Cooper = 9.7

Lupo = 8.1

30-50 in 3rd:

C2 = 5.3

Cooper = 6.2

Lupo = 4.4

40-60 in 4th:

C2 = 7.3

Cooper = 8.6

Lupo = 5.6

50-70 in 5th:

C2 = 11.0

Cooper = 13.2

Lupo = 8.2    (10.0 in 6th)

Nice to see the Lupo comes out best - it also shows how good the Lupo's mid-range punch is . . .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would do the lupo is a more powerful car

Edited by D7 YME