Clutch Kit part numbers for SDI/other Lupos

Does anyone know how the clutch kit part numbers match up with Lupo models? Are the clutches slightly different for each engine/gearbox or is there some interchangability?

Putting an SDI reg in to various car part factors and seeing that the SDI clutch kit is quite a bit pricier than other kits for Lupos. 

When I did two of my SDIs I used clutch plates from a Derby and a Vento. Same reason. Not paying silly money.

On one of the clutch plates, I had to remove about 4mm off the central splined shaft arbor with my angle grinder, so it didn't hit the flywheel. Still good 50k later.

I can't remember the details, but count the number of splined teeth and measure the overall diameter. You'll be good to go. There are loads and loads of cross references if you take the time to research. The exact same clutch is/was used in loads of vw/audi/seat/skoda models over the years.

The pressure plate is probably fine- The max allowable wear on the spring tips is around 1mm to be able to get one more clutch life out of it. Just get a nice new release bearing- decent branded part.

Smear a thin layer of CV grease on the surface of the release bearing where it makes contact. Oh, and make sure that the guide tube that the releaser slides up and down on is spotless and dry. Worth changing the inlet shaft seal. When they leak, the tube gets covered in sticky gloopy gunge that binds on the releaser making pressing the clutch pedal really stiff- breaking the pedal box again...

Edited by mk2
  • Like 1