2004 Seat Arosa 1.4 automatic gearbox issues

MrB123

Hello all!

I have recently acquired a very very cheap 1.4 auto Seat arosa from a family member with the intention of fixing it up and selling it on (with a bit of luck, for a profit!) The main issue the car has apart from cosmetics is with the gearbox. The issue seems to present itself in 2 ways. 1. When under load i.e. accelerating up a hill the car often will not shift into 3rd gear, simply staying in 2nd untill it hits the rev limiter or I let off and it eventually gets its act together. 2. Also when changing from 2nd to 3rd gear (but not exclusively when under load) the car will select neutral or lose drive instead if engaging 3rd gear.

I appreciate its most likely very difficult to diagnose just based on a description however i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I hope to fix the car myself with the help of some friends. We are fairly competent at car maintenance so we can most likely manage it. We just dont know where to look yet.

Thanks very much in advance 

It's probably never ever had a gearbox service... they need some love too. Both gearbox fluids probably need changing, along with both magnets needing a clean and a new main fluid filter.

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

It's probably never ever had a gearbox service... they need some love too. Both gearbox fluids probably need changing, along with both magnets needing a clean and a new main fluid filter.

Thanks, ill certainly start with a fairly comprehensive service and go from there. Fingers crossed that solves the issue.

Where can i find information of what types of fluid and filters i neet etc?

• 5 months later...
On 7/31/2023 at 7:52 PM, MrB123 said:

Hello all!

I have recently acquired a very very cheap 1.4 auto Seat arosa from a family member with the intention of fixing it up and selling it on (with a bit of luck, for a profit!) The main issue the car has apart from cosmetics is with the gearbox. The issue seems to present itself in 2 ways. 1. When under load i.e. accelerating up a hill the car often will not shift into 3rd gear, simply staying in 2nd untill it hits the rev limiter or I let off and it eventually gets its act together. 2. Also when changing from 2nd to 3rd gear (but not exclusively when under load) the car will select neutral or lose drive instead if engaging 3rd gear.

I appreciate its most likely very difficult to diagnose just based on a description however i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I hope to fix the car myself with the help of some friends. We are fairly competent at car maintenance so we can most likely manage it. We just dont know where to look yet.

On 7/31/2023 at 7:52 PM, MrB123 said:

Hello all!

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? I have the exact same symptoms on my Arosa 1.4S Auto

Thanks

On 1/9/2024 at 10:34 AM, ArosaMB said:

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? I have the exact same symptoms on my Arosa 1.4S Auto

Thanks

When they never return it sometimes means the last suggestion worked.