Tdi exhaust

tigcraft

Mines on its last legs and I need a new one but don’t seem to see any full front to back systems to buy on eBay. I’d really like stainless but haven’t come across any at all. Anyone got a used stainless system to sell? Not sure if I’ve the time to make a stainless as so busy making things for other people. 

If you make one, make two! You'll easily sell it and cover all your costs.

I have a spare, new, Ernst brand system I bought from Germany a couple of years ago for any of my SDIs. Better quality than Walker or Otto. They look identical to OEM Vdub. The UK made systems for Lupos/Rosas is rubbish. However, BM brand catalysts are very good. Look on German websites. Last time I looked there are still a few sellers that have new old stock over there.

Is there a benefit not having the cat or is there no difference at all? 

Well, there are two trains of thought with cats... (not including DPFs)-

One argument, is without cat, the exhaust gases will flow faster allowing exhaust gases to vent easier, reducing the amount of residual exhaust gas sitting in the cylinder before the next fill. Meaning more fresh air and fuel can get in, theoretically increasing power.

The other argument is with a cat, the residual exhaust manifold pressure actually increases the final compression pressure, so when filling next time, there already is a higher charge, resulting in higher torque and power. And cleaner emissions.

Reality is, you need a rolling road to measure the differences, which I no longer have access to. With exactly the same ambient conditions (air pressure, humidity and temperature), for both tests.

Having worked with OEM engine guys, they are (believe it or not) complete petrol heads, who want to get as much power they can out of an engine, only limited by emission numbers. So usually, I try to stick with OEM design, which means keep the cat. They designed the thing to run as well as poss with a cat, so in my books it makes sense. And when we did tests in the past, there was actually fractionally more power and torque with a cat fitted (not tried the 1.4 TDi engine though).

• Like 1

Blimey MK2, I like you knowledge database. You’d be a good one to share conversations in a pub one day. Thanks for that 

• 1 month later...

So looking around for a decent stainless exhaust I’ve found absolutely nothing. I’m going to price quality components up then consider making one. It will be as close to oem std not an ugly big bore system. If there’s enough interest I’ll duplicate and make several more. Let me know if anyone wants them.