Wobbly gearstick

Hi everyone,

I've had a look on the forum for something related to this but I didn’t have any luck! If anyone knows about a thread please let me know. 

I have a 2001 Gti (5 speed) that has a wobbly stick, I took the gator off and looked at the ball joint thing and the  plastic cup (if that’s the word) has worn away. Does anyone know the part number for this? It’s LHD if that makes any difference…

also under the gator the shaft that comes off the gear stick and sits between the two metal pins (the selector??) used to have a rubber piece that filled the gap between the two pins, is that any easy replacement or I remember reading somewhere about someone using a bit of hospipe to tighten things up. 

i don’t have any problems with gear changes (except very occasionally 2nd > 3rd) it’s just that the stick wobbles excessively 

if my description isn’t very clear I can attach some pictures later

Cheers

Not that familiar with LHD version but, if they're the same as RHD, it's usually at the gearbox end. Check the ends of the two selector cables and the selector tower shaft bearing. Having someone to wiggle things while you're checking helps a lot... :) 

For a quick fix that lasts far longer than youd think is use an off cut of thick plastic sheeting from coal bags or damp proof membranes and just wrap it round the ball once and pop it back in. Also good for tailgate gas struts. It makes everything firm by taking out the slack.