Mini engine/box makeover Arosa Tdi

Well yesterday took the plunge and pulled the engine and gearbox out of my Arosa tdi. The gearbox is  well overdue and it’s been bugging me for ages.
Since I’ve owned this car I’ve not done an engine service at all although I’ve done bloody every thing else,  but the differential has been rumbling like a Lancaster bomber and needed doing ever since I bought the car.  Today I started cleaning things up on the engine whilst also dropping the box off at the reconditioners. I’ve a cam belt and water pump to fit, an oil change and anything else that’s tired to put right. 
 Well I took the inlet manifold off and was shocked to see 3mm of heavy soft carbon sludge just like ‘black liver pate’ stuck to the sides of the manifold and also the inlets on all three ports!!!

That’s 6mm diameter lost of airway like narrowed arteries. I’ve to clean that out somehow which I’m probably going to scrape the ports and then fill to the brim with a strong caustic soda solution to wash out the bits I can’t get to then blow the cylinders out with an airline to empty them. 

2102AD36-58FE-44E6-92F7-937774647074.jpeg

D9D81378-5960-4FE4-9426-E94BB28F7CF9.jpeg

60BBF15C-B2C8-4236-AC5C-16EFBF685924.jpeg

• Like 1

On another note, is it possible to get replacement moulded fuel hoses that are specific to this engine still as mine are old and cracked? If so I also need a rocker cover oil breather pipe which is split. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I’ve had my gearbox reconditioned and apparently there was not a lot wrong with it other than layshaft bearings. It’s Not what I wanted to hear as I’ve a ‘wheel bearing’ type of sound that just won’t go (no it’s not the wheel bearings before some illiterate replies).

In the meantime I’ve enjoyed giving my engine a real deep clean as I’ve done nowt to it at all since purchasing 18months prior. The mileage is now around 138,000 and I’ve cleaned it internally and out and I feel I’ve dodged a bullet with it. So currently re-assembling it…2ED6DD62-0232-4848-BE75-868BF0B84B02.thumb.jpeg.0b94d024728c24bc6682a266bf20acb0.jpegD463D524-6FDC-4B14-8CFB-9C6D363FF701.thumb.jpeg.b4b45cce283cca099a0b3f76b0e43dd9.jpeg8EE105AF-53D3-4268-9DAF-E0908C02F35D.thumb.jpeg.0f247591c68743ed5340f9b342fd23b7.jpeg

You. Could almost eat off it! 😉

• Like 2

Nice. i like this a lot. 👍🏻😀🎶

You mention that the layshaft (output shaft) bearings were gone- any pics? And I guess the worst was the pinion bearing, that drives the diff? The other end is up next to 4th, and they're usually ok. 02R boxes are very tough! Good ole' 80's vdub design. What were the syncros like?

Hey, just thought- while it's out, you absolutely have to do the chain and tensioner pads. You don't need to change the sprockets unless they look bad. The chain and tensioner wear out and usually make the engine go bang at around 130k miles. And purlease get the EGR bypass kit (pipe and block off plate), makes such a difference. And then do an elephant snorkle mod, to get the blow by fumes from the rocker cover out to the road (20mm flex conduit). Block off the inlet pipe hole. Could also rebuild the turbine... And new clutch and bits while everything is out.

I didn’t actually get to know that much about the box internals  as the re conditioners were a bit economical in their explanation. 🙄Hope it’s going to be fine as that was the main reason it all came out.  
Onto the engine side…

The chain didn’t look bad, the cam looked like new and and well preserved, the sump was silt free and just washed out by a good clean, water pump done, cam belt done, but bloody bearings were wrong so stuck with original as luckily they were nice and smooth. New EGR fitted as I prefer it standard on that count. I’m just fitting it all in now as I write this. 
 Anyway next job is a 6”x2” hole in the floor to sill N/S just like the one that sunk the titanic!!  

Edited by tigcraft

How much work was it to get access to the chain and the tensioner friction pads? I've never done one. I know there are two sump pan bolts that are tircky to get to without taking the gearbox off, but you had done that... :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 1:37 PM, mk2 said:

How much work was it to get access to the chain and the tensioner friction pads? I've never done one. I know there are two sump pan bolts that are tircky to get to without taking the gearbox off, but you had done that... :)

I dropped the sump plate that’s inside and only looked for any thing nasty like metal swarf lying in the bottom. I also shone a torch up to see anything astounding or obvious but that’s where I drew the line. It’s not the juicy techno information you wanted to hear unfortunately. 🙄

So the chain and pads still need to be done... Hmmm. 

There's a Polo I look after with an AMF, and i keep being asked if it's time to do a swap. Yep, but from what I've read it's a big job with fancy tools (I don't have). Told them that it's cheaper to get breakdown recovery cover, and then a replacement used engine when it happens. An engine swap takes 5h.

There are loads of VAG 1.4 tdi engines out there. They're all the same basic lumps, just with different bits bolted on. Oooh, I just had an idea- i wonder how a 1.2 lump would run with all the bolt-on bits from an AMF 1.4... same basic engine.

Another job then for another day I suppose………. 😜.. 

This car is a never ending labour of love. As I’ve just repaired the NS sill front, floor and Apost bottom. It had a hole that sunk the titanic!! 

8A20F746-7269-4508-B367-B2709BBAC8F1.jpeg

E32B9DED-E2AE-4079-8AD2-E9792CCAE02F.jpeg

BB066BB4-C821-422B-908D-02C98463ED14.jpeg