Seat Arosa 97 1.0 engine reving too high beeing stopped

techo

Hi!

First of all, sorry for my english. I’m spanish.

I have a problem with my seat arosa 1.0, that engine is in 1500/2000 revs even when the car is not moving and isn’t in any gear.

Any suggestions or recommendations? It’s a very old car but I want to use it till it dies.

Thank you all!!

Hi!

Do you have check engine light on?

It is very simple engine, check if throttle is closed when idle, and then, if throttle is correct, search for vacuum leaks.

You can try to remove crankcase breather pipe/s from throttle body and block it, your finger can do the job well enough to check if thats cause.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 10:42 PM, ObjectiveAway said:

Hi!

Do you have check engine light on?

It is very simple engine, check if throttle is closed when idle, and then, if throttle is correct, search for vacuum leaks.

You can try to remove crankcase breather pipe/s from throttle body and block it, your finger can do the job well enough to check if thats cause.

Hi!

No, none of my lights have lighten up yet and throttle is correct.

What should happen when I remove the crankcase breather pipe and block it? 

Thank you for your help! 

On 2/20/2022 at 4:50 AM, techo said:

What should happen when I remove the crankcase breather pipe and block it? 

There should be no vacuum leaks after throttle. If everything is correct, nothing should happen, but I advice to clean the breather pipes and check for cracks anyway.

Edited by ObjectiveAway

21 hours ago, ObjectiveAway said:

There should be no vacuum leaks after throttle. If everything is correct, nothing should happen, but I advice to clean the breather pipes and check for cracks anyway.

Thank you! i'll check that. Thanks to your comment i saw in youtube it could be the pcv valve, so i'll check it too :)

9 hours ago, The Penguin said:

Does the idle settle down after the engine warms up, or does it stay high?

Hi! No, I would say it even goes a bit worse when engine is warm. When engine is cold, revs are around 1200/1400 in neutral. When it's hot, sometimes it peaks up to 2000 revs when I clutch down and go to neutral, and then drops around 1500.

On 2/22/2022 at 4:40 AM, techo said:

Thank you! i'll check that. Thanks to your comment i saw in youtube it could be the pcv valve, so i'll check it too :)

PCV valve is secondary thing, actually it's made for high RPM's and it should block the crankcase breather pipes on idle, If PCV and crankcase breather systems are the fault you can bypass all the PCV valve section, by blocking hole in your throtthle body, then your engine will run fine with crankcase breather blowing straight inside oil catch can or in air filter box.

• 4 months later...
On 2/18/2022 at 5:50 PM, techo said:

Hi!

First of all, sorry for my english. I’m spanish.

I have a problem with my seat arosa 1.0, that engine is in 1500/2000 revs even when the car is not moving and isn’t in any gear.

Any suggestions or recommendations? It’s a very old car but I want to use it till it dies.

Thank you all!!

Hola!

The way the ECU works in this older 1st generation engine is by maintaining the O2 readings. So if there's too much air getting sucked into the engine, it will automatically compensate by adding fuel- to keep it running. If no extra fuel were added, it would go lean and stall. As a consequence it revs higher; more air + more fuel = more power = more revs.

So somewhere extra air is getting in- not through the throttle valve. Try putting your hand over the air intake blocking the throttle and see if you can hear where it is leaking. Vacuum lines are often the cause, even the brake servo. Inlet manifold join to the cylinder head... I can't remember if your engine has an Evap canister. The purge pipe to the canister (or the activation solenoid) can leak, allowing air in.

Good luck! :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for anwering,

I akready checked if leaks some air in the inlet, im not sure about the o2 readings, I have a OBDC reader and i didnt find any error about the O2. Do you know where is the O2 sensor didnt know that this car have it. Today im gonna chek it maybe i find out something new.

The O2 reading will be correct. There will be an error, or wrong reading on the throttle sensor, because it needs to open less- to allow less air to enter the engine.

Have you checked the VCDS temp sensor readings when cold? They should be the same (like 15c & 15c). And then again when hot (reading maybe 85c & 87c).