Road tax

tigcraft

Just chatting to a lad nr me working in a shop with a 1ltr lupo and we were discussing roads tax. Cant remember exactly how much he was paying but it was a 2004 petrol car he had and the tax was eye watering compared to mine (1.4 tdi) of only £30. Surely if government is slagging off diesels the petrol should have more incentive?? 

Yeah there was an approx 5 year window where the gov got it right (or wrong- depending in your point of view). Cars from somewhere around Feb 2001 (can't remember exactly), were taxed relating to their CO2 output. Identical cars before that date had a flat tax rate... 🤷🏻‍♀️

NOx emissions weren't really taken into account, so diesels generally fared better; as they're more efficient- lower CO2. Air is made up of 80% nitrogen and only 20% oxygen and some of the nitrogen will burn (oxidize) if you can get it hot enough.

And merry christmas all! 🎄

Edited by mk2

Yeah there was a change over on the first‘51’ plate system as all older Lupo’s stayed with the expensive tax which is now classified as commercial rate. I notice the gti’s after that date are still stupid money to tax.   It makes in my opinion the tdi pretty much most desirable of all the models. 

Edited by tigcraft

Good way of distraction! The fiesta must have been a pre 51 plate like a Y plate  possibly? 

Edited by tigcraft