"Blinky" the 1.7 SDI Lupo

xXBeefyDjXx

Hi everyone, 

I needed a reliable daily around a year ago when I blew the engine up in my 350z so a friend sold me his awesome 1.7SDI Lupo, which I named "Blinky". (I always name my cars after pac-man ghosts, colour dependant)

I brought the car with a replaced engine ready to be turboed but I still haven't gotten around to it yet. 

Running Coilies lowered to a reasonable height where she still passes speed bumps (we have some really tall ones here)
Some sweet wheels that match the colour of the car, I believe they're 8j, 15" Car handles like it's on rails, or as I like to say it's like a big go-kart.

Uprated Injectors (215s from a 90 or 105 I believe, maybe 130 I can't remember)
Remapped by myself to improve power output and smoothen engine response and throttle response. (No more sluggish behaviour or tractor sounds)

OMP Steering Wheel with Boss kit. (Clone, but nice and firm) 
Head Unit replaced with a Pioneer DAB Double Din.
All door speakers replaced with Pioneer TS-G170c 50W
Rear speakers installed with the help of the custom fabricated adapters, again Pioneer TS-G170c 50w.
All Speaker Wire replaced with Vibe "Oxygen Free" cables
Rear seats removed and replaced with a huge single 12" sub box ported to 30hz for some nice back massages (36 inches wide)
Ground Zero 12" GZRW 30-P2 600w RMS Subwoofer on a Pioneer GM-D9701 1200w RMS amp
Amp runs on 4 gauge Vibe wiring to and from a second 650AH battery in the boot regulated by a Stinger Battery Isolator.

Cover.thumb.jpg.c540b4b092ee4c1de5486fc650fdc95d.jpg108174424_3082845085134266_7170882140509634467_n.thumb.jpg.7bda2ecbea15b087a9d131acefd8769b.jpg108219366_301214334391735_5993346241326839528_n.thumb.jpg.5aabe4a6a2f45a16e72d67d24edf9f36.jpg

Nice. 👍🏻

After you chnaged the injectors, wasn't smoke a problem? I did the same on one of my SDIs and there was no way I could get it through an MOT. It actually failed! Like you say, response and extra power was amazing, but to the detriment of anyone behind me... Had to chuck the originals back in again. @battlebus did the turbo mod on his 1.7, and the resukts were apparently impressive. Almost too much power and torque for such a small car (and gearbox).

13 hours ago, mk2 said:

Nice. 👍🏻

After you chnaged the injectors, wasn't smoke a problem? I did the same on one of my SDIs and there was no way I could get it through an MOT. It actually failed! Like you say, response and extra power was amazing, but to the detriment of anyone behind me... Had to chuck the originals back in again. @battlebus did the turbo mod on his 1.7, and the resukts were apparently impressive. Almost too much power and torque for such a small car (and gearbox).

@Mk2 When originally mapping the car to see what I could get out of it without messing with injection timing (not that good at it yet) I ended up maxing the fuel tables and the old injectors just wouldn't make the car smoke what so ever even with ludicrous numbers like 60mg fuel per stroke. Those OEM ones can't keep up at all as I'm sure you found!

Initially, no smoke on new injectors but the map I had with tons of fuel soon shone through. I have since remapped it again with a more "eco friendly" performance approach and it's not only picked up a lot of torque and bit of HP but it's not smoking. ECUs "Learn" injector sizes so once it starts smoking like a bitch on uprateds, you just reduce the fuel slightly or tinker with ignition timings to ensure you're squashing as much as you can in and get the best burn possible. 

It's all rocket science to most but it's basically max quantity of the cylinder depending on the mix, Mix dependant on A/F values etc etc etc...  

My biggest concern with turboing is looking after the dinky gearbox however that should be remedied by making a subtle map that eases fuel in, gradually spooling up the turbo for a kick in the higher end rather than down low. Best for both gearbox and engine since we "Assume" it's the 1.9 TDI rods but they might have given the SDIs the "throwaway" parts assuming they'd never need the solidarity of an engine with 35psi running through it (as I map all 1.9 TDIs to 30-32psi with a bit of overrun expected if someone asks for a moon map lol)

I like rolling a bit of coal if you stomp it because it makes tailgaters and the absolute crack heads of the road think twice. Also fun for the arsehole cyclists who "own the roads" :P 

Yeah, it's interesting how the OEM map literally limits the torque, giving such a flat curve. To protect the box I suppose. The box is apparently almost the same as the old 1L polo breadvan internally. @battlebus said he'd just keep replacing the bearings and run an EP75W140 limited slip diff oil to help reduce teeth wear! Mad 😋 My gearbox guy told me that he's seen the casing split where the pinion bearing is. The case goes before the teeth!

When I did experiments a couple of years back, i realised that there is a relationship between nozzle size and smoke. Must have something to do with atomisation of the fuel as it's being squirted out. Bigger holes means you can get more fuel through in the same time slot, but worse mixing because of the larger droplet sizes. I wish there was a portable smoke opacity meter that could be carried onboard so it'd be possible to map the car to its limit based on smoke rather than power. I found that injecting a fraction earlier reduces smoke, but makes the engine much more knocky. I guess it gives the bigger droplets more time to burn whilst the piston is going down, before BDC and the exhaust opens.

From memory, stock injectors are 0.175 holes. The TDI runs 0.215 or maybe 0.225. 5 holes. In the US someone makes 6 or 7 hole injectors at 0.175, giving good atomisation while increasing fuel throughput at the same time (7x0.175 is a lot more squirt than 5x0.175). Ideal. But stupidly expensive.

I've never figured out how the 1.9 does it. The combustion chamber is identical, as is the swirl. Compression's the same too at low revs. And yet very little smoke. I think the 1.9 plate limit is 0.9. Though the 1.7 plate says 0.7. I wonder what it is on the 3L (@RAB can u have a look on your sticker?)

How do you get through an MOT?

What software do you use to change the maps, and do you do it via OBD or soldering (emulator)? I used to have a rolling road, but not any more since moving.