Lupo 1.4 16V AHW problem.

dgk22

Hello everyone,  my AHW engine is pretty much dead i suspect worn piston rings/pistons probably valve seals and high chance that the block is for scrap, i know these are alloy so cant really be rebuilt, what are my options to put a cast iron block in it? Is it only from the lupo/polo gti which are really hard to find. 
I know if the block is fine i can change pistons and seals and all the rest but it would come out costing more than a second hand 1.8t to put in there since i will be doind all the work myself. 
Could i use an iron block from the older polo 6n1 that are SOHC and use only the block and crank/rotating assembly? 
Have been thinking a lot from an entire engine swap to a better engine but the thing is everything apart from 1.8t is not really worth it because it's going to cost pretty much the same for worse results and 1.8t is a bit of an overkill for me.

Goes through the coolant and oil quite as fast as it uses petrol :D. no idea on the km when a car enters my country it goes to the deffault 120k km. 
Have not done a compression test, not much point tbh just by the noise you can tell it's on it's last legs. 
Was thinking about the older 1.4 1.6 blocks from what i heard it's the same as the AFH 1.4 101 hp engine in the polo 6n1's but have not really found good evidence.
The car is my girlfriend's so thats why not much need for a really big engine, i was thinking about getting an old 1.8 liter mono from the passat/vento/toledo since they are pretty bulletproof but it's probably gonna be as much work as the 1.8t and thats why i'm looking for other easier solutions.

Yes, have not taken them out tbh, not much point either no point trying to save this engine, would rather have an iron block and work from there.
Smokes a lot, and goes through the coolant and oil quite fast, so most likely a blown gasket as well.
So any ideas on the iron block or should i look for one from a gti which is pretty much impossible to find?

It might be nothing more than the head gasket. Easy cheap fix... :) €20?

Pull the head off and have look. You have nothing to lose if you're thinking of scrapping the engine. Just do it carefully in case it is only the HG. Then everything else is reusable. Leave the manifolds on, only disconnect the exhaust downpipe.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/036103383aj

Edited by mk2

I don't include service items. I reuse bolts, but i can 'feel' when they are about to snap. All bolts have more stretch in than you use. Only about half the stretch is used in a bolt. So reuse, and instead of a full turn after torquing down, just a quarter. You can measure the post stretch torque as well. Summary- you don't 'need' new bolts :)

Yes, but it's all apart so you change them and that adds to the cost, would be stupid not to. Re-using head bolts i don't know usually knowing my luck i wouldn't do it and as i said that weak alloy block will probably strip the threads anyway. 
I have found a solutions, a AFH engine from a polo 6n1 fits to the original gearbox, and just need a new engine mount. Also a SOHC 1.6 from a polo 6n1 can be used with an AFH head and it gives pretty good results too.

Ok, so i got myself an AFH engine any pointers for connecting the loom? Mounting is quite straight forward. 
Not sure if the lupo uses CANBUS for the tachometer i know the ABS wont work unless i get the one from the polo.

From what little info i found on this conversion it says i have to use the AFH loom from the polo? 
Is there a way to use the AHW loom and ECU? If that can be done would make it a bit easier and i'd be able to use the ABS. 
Also the other thing is AFH using a distributor while the AHW has coil pack? I've seen maybe the same coil pack not sure fitted to an AFH but it was using aftermarket electronics so not sure about that.
Any pictures and info would be greatly appreciated.

This sounds a lot better than using the older ECU and loom. Would save a lot of work.
I know the map sensor is the same, what about crank and camshaft position sensor i thought they are different. 
Injectors seem similar enough, which would be better AFH or AHW one's? WOuld the ECU need a remap?
Thanks a lot you are giving me a lot of useful information :).

I'm just guessing here as I don't know anyone that has ever done this mod. But the 2 engines are basically the same, as are all the sensors. I think the crank sensor pulse output is the same too, so crank to cam timing should be the same and the ecu won't notice any difference. My guess is that everything else will simply swap over. The coil pack system without a dizzy will always be superior, since ignition timing control is more precise.

@Rich may have worked on both at the same time, so will know if there are any big differences. I don't think (doubt) the cam profiles are much different, so you won't even need a remap.

Edited by mk2

Okay this sounds really good. Will save me a lot of time.
Any thoughts on injectors? Use the ones from AHW, afh or better?
Engine has a 1.6 crank, bora conrods from the 105hp 1.6, and new pistons. With stock distributor, injectors and ECU it did 140-ish hp on the dyno.

Use the injectors from the AFH, but I would guess that they are the same capacity. 

If your new engine has been modded, then everything I've said is rubbish! :) You'll be on your own....