Lupo roof gutter trims - question

psychoeric

I've just bought a pair of roof gutter trims for my daughter's 2004 1.0E Lupo as the rubber has become brittle on the old ones and they're starting to lift.

I was supplied with VW part 6X0-853-702H-03C. In the packet is the black trim with "wiper" rubber edges, but also a clear (ish) transparent plastic C section part the same length as the trim.

Hopefully the photo makes it a bit clearer. Does anyone know what the clear part is for? As far as I can see the car doesn't have them with the original black ones?

Would really appreciate some expert help! Many thanks,

Regards

Eric

IMG_0562.jpeg

2nd set for me. Mine came with strips too. If they were for transport surely the trims would be inserted in the clear part.

I thought they look like they  were for masking whilst being painted.

My current ones are in the body shop with my car at present.

...if you slide the strips in to the clear cover,  does it look like it would mask the plastic from the rubber?

If yours are unpainted then yes; jjust do the switch.

• 2 weeks later...

I cheat. Clean gutters. Fill with waxoyl. Waxol the strips (the hardened rubber bits). Leave for a day. Fit. They stick like glue and protect the gutter... It does help that they are not bent though before refitting.