Emisions

Bad Dog

My loop 1.4Tdi has recently failed it's MOT on emissions. A few years ago i had it re-mapped and was wondering if this would have any effect on the emissions ?  if it doeas can i obtain a second hand ECU from a scrapped car and swap it with mine and therefore return it to standard or is it more complicated than that ?

Chances are your remap already deleted the egr in the map.

Air filter needs to be clean. You will have black smoke if it is very dirty or your map is too ambitious. Engine / injectors in tired condition wont help either.

If you make the plate value unreadable they have to test it to the higher limit, but as yours is already tested it will be on the system so awkward.

You can get a £10 mpps clone lead and free software to dump your map and look at it or twiddle with it and / or flash stock file to it. I did consider flashing mine to stock for this 1st MOT under the new rules, but decided against it. 

Edited by Sausage

Sausage, - was wondering about that. So if i physically blank the egr now it wont throw a warning light on the dash which is also a fail. It hardly puts out any visible smoke.

Can they find the value for it off a data base or do they physically have to be able to see it on the plate ?

Previous test results have all been around 1.60. So that would mean it would piss the default limit of 3.0. However is it illegal to tamper with the vin plate ? I could paint over it to obscure the 0.8 figure.

It isnt the vin plate, yep just obscure the value in the corner. No idea what will happen for a retest though as he may just pull up the figures from the previous failed test. 

1.6 seems high, all my previous MOT have been under the plate value. (mine is remapped).

Edited by Sausage