SDI Owners, What RPM Do You Cruise At?

JoeyEunos

As per the title chaps :)

I confess that despite having owned many cars my current Lupo is actually the first diesel I've driven! Having now got just shy of 300 miles under my belt it struck me the other day when cruising on level ground I was actually doing 30mph in 5th gear with the engine running at a measly 1krpm :o

My question is simple really, am I damaging or straining the engine at all doing such low RPM's? What RPM are the rest of you using for 'cruising' speeds?

As always thanks in advance for any advice/musings or wisdom shared!

If it's not struggling then it's fine. A mate had a sdi caddy that was almost doing 3k at 60! Not a pleasurable experience...

Thanks Pete.

FWIW the car doesn't seem to be sturuggling and at 30 mph at 1k rpm in 5th gear putting your foot down produces a healthy level of acceleration (Provided one is on level ground) without bogging the car down, the only issue is that the SDI engine sounds so loud/agricultural to me it's genuinely difficult to decifer how it's feeling :rolleyes:

I'll get used to this diesel business in the end I'm sure <_<

The last thing I want to do is cause damage to the gearbox or drivetrain on the basis that given I bought the car in search of economy damaging these parts for the sake of saving a few quid on fuel would be totally counter intuitive!

If you want to smoothen the idle out. You can do that. It will help with the vibrations.

^ Thanks @Skezza ;) Always nice to get your feedback on these issues given you're a fellow SDI driver!

I guess it's just about getting used to using a different rev range after moving from petrol to diesel. On I get my head round that and the heavy feeling clutch peddle I'm sure I'll get settled.