Options Please

1272_el_ex

Righto, where to start. My brother in law owned a 1.4 16v S a couple of year ago. He had the cambelt done at a reputable garage, a month later it started to have a very feint misfire. It went back to the garage that done the cambelt, they couldn't find the issue. It was then taken to another reputable VW garage who cut through the old cambelt took the head off and then gave him the call that they didn't know what was wrong with it other than the compression was down on one cylinder. A £400 bill and a car with it's head off and a box of spare parts later and the decision was made to garage it until such time he would have a go at trying to find the source of the problem himself..

Some 18 months later and the car still sat exactly how it was laid up the olds decided that they wanted their garage back and the car became mine.

So the last few weekends have been spent rebuilding the head, cleaning the throttle body out, replacing the coilpacks/plugs etc. Compression now is 13.6 on both cyl 1& 2, 14 on both 3 and 4 yet still I have a really lumpy tickover. I am starting to get to the point where my patience is running a little thin so I just wanted to get some input from the experts as to what you would do. I don't really want to scrap the car as it is super clean but then I can't really sell it in it's current condition either. I would love to 20vt it but I have other toys that I would rather spend my money on.

Is there another more reliable engine that I could take from another model and drop straight in with minimal hassle? The current engine code is BBY so the issues may not come as a surprise to some of you.

Edited by 1272_el_ex

Righto, where to start. My brother in law owned a 1.4 16v S a couple of year ago. He had the cambelt done at a reputable garage, a month later it started to have a very feint misfire. It went back to the garage that done the cambelt, they couldn't find the issue. It was then taken to another reputable VW garage who cut through the old cambelt took the head off and then gave him the call that they didn't know what was wrong with it other than the compression was down on one cylinder. A £350 bill and a car with it's head off and a box of spare parts later and the decision was made to garage it until such time he would have a go at trying to find the source of the problem himself..

Some 18 months later and the car still sat exactly how it was laid up the olds decided that they wanted their garage back and the car became mine.

So the last few weekends have been spent rebuilding the head, cleaning the throttle body out, replacing the coilpacks/plugs etc. Compression now is 13.6 on both cyl 1& 2, 14 on both 3 and 4 yet still I have a really lumpy tickover. I am starting to get to the point where my patience is running a little thin so I just wanted to get some input from the experts as to what you would do. I don't really want to scrap the car as it is super clean but then I can't really sell it in it's current condition either. I would love to 20vt it but I have other toys that I would rather spend my money on.

Is there another more reliable engine that I could take from another model and drop straight in with minimal hassle? The current engine code is BBY so the issues may not come as a surprise to some of you.

Cut through the old cambelt? Why did they do that?

It really sounds the garage didn't try very hard to diagnose the 'slight misfire' to begin with. Did they change the plugs? Leads? Coilpack? Did they scan it properly?

Your compression sounds ok to me. Have you scanned it lately? Lumpy tickover could be caused by a load of things though. I really wouldn't give up just yet.

Record a video as well.

Why they cut through the old belt baffles me, unless it was a time and therefore cost saving exercise. The cambelt had only been changed a couple of months before so my guess is that they were going to use the old markings if there was something obvious found elsewhere.

Plugs and coilpacks have been changed for items known to work. Scan brings back nothing. My thought process at the moment is that maybe I am a tooth out on the cambelt but I won't get chance to check that until the weekend now. Unfortunately VCDS doesn't have measuring blocks for the cam/pulley positioning on this engine (as far as I am aware). I will get some footage (if I can work out how to upload it) later.

I haven't given up just yet, just wanted to get an idea of possible cost effective alternatives if push come to shove.

Pretty sure Sealey make a timing tool you could get.

I imagine if it's a tooth off, it'll be lumpy as hell, like borderline undrivable?

Pretty sure Sealey make a timing tool you could get.

I imagine if it's a tooth off, it'll be lumpy as hell, like borderline undrivable?

Can't drive it yet as it's been off of the road, not brave enough to put it in for an mot as it is as it's bound to fail on emissions. It is quite lumpy though, it's struggling at 750 rpm to stay alive, I was hoping that the throttle body reset would take it nearer 950rpm on tickover but it didn't do a thing. The bit that baffles me (and this may be me being new to this) is that if you take the oil cap off when it is running it cuts out after about 4 or 5 seconds. Never had a car do that to me yet.

Could that be a lambda sensor? Presumably If it were then it would return a fault code!?

Lambda sensor returned a fault code when mine went.