Door locks and handles ?

LynseyLou

Are there any you tube videos on how to get the door handles off ?

We are loosening the nut behind the grommet and cannot work it out please help ?

Are you trying to remove the actual handle, or just the lock? You need to be careful, if you loosen that nut behind the gromet too much, it will come out and drop into the door then it's a right pain in the arse to get back. I think the rest will come apart too.

If you're just removing the lock, there's a few tutorials on t'internet (none for Lupo, you'll have to use a Passat or Golf one).

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/doorlockmechanism/

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/61-b5-information-base/310280-diy-rear-door-disassembly-lock-mechanism-repair-intermittent-lock.html

http://vwforum.promotor.ro/topic/102379-diy-reparare%C3%AEnlocuire-switch-portier%C4%83/

There's one for how to de lock a lupo which will guide you on how to remove it. Have a look in the how to section and you'll find it :)

Ah, well remembered, that'll at least show you how to remove the lock barrel :)

Fuming now ..... bought two door lock kits off ebay nearly there and both the brass coloured locking tabs have broke !!!!!!!

Seeking a refund straight away can anyone recommend a kit that actually works and not break !!!

Having no luck with this car at all

Edited by LynseyLou

Managed to get the spring paddle and everything together .........

Now key turns and doesn't lock or unlock the door !!!!

locked at first then won't unlock with the key , now just turns and nothing

....anyone help me here ?

Edited by LynseyLou

it opens and shuts ok from inside handle and outside handle

the key turns left and right ok ...the door pull isnt engaging , it was moving up and down earlier now nothing

Edited by LynseyLou

Don't you have to hook something onto the bowden cable, a plastic clip or something? I'm pretty sure you do, if you still have your door card off it should be fairly obvious. I forget the exact method. GeoffD is your man for this. Have you followed the reverse of one of those tutorials, that will help?

The cable has been plugged in correctly and sat in it's little groove thing behind the doorcard ....... seems like the doorlock itself has seized ( obviously hasn't as it still opens and closes ) just does not lock and open with the key ???

After reading quite a lot of old threads , I read that GeoffD said there is a switch or something to press on the door lock before fitting the barrel .... there is a certain order/way of doing it apparently , can anyone enlighten me ?

I really do need to get the door to lock as it's been a week outside unlocked and we spent all day cursing re fitting and swearing all day hahaha

Please help ...there was a link to http://elsaweb.spaghetticoder.org/ I read but this site is now down ( just my luck ) which had a VW manual online apparently which had the answer to my problem !

Has anyone got a copy or a link to it ?

If anyone has a copy of the VW manual Elsaweb ? i think it's called ... Please let me know the procedure to get the barrel to work ...I am missing something out and cannot work it out at all

You need to push it in, back where it was before you disconnected it. Can you remember? if not, you need to replace it, then test (WITHOUT SHUTTING THE DOOR). I believe this is where you can seize your door if you get it wrong, so you need to test the catch on the door without closing it. I guess open the handle and check the catch is moving.

yes i only removed the barrel , replaced missing paddle,lock rings and spring .... put it back together and now the barrel is fine it does what it should ( i.e. moves left and right without the barrel coming out in your hands lol ) but open and lock the door !!!!

Is the barrel loose or have you tightened it back up, are you able to remove it? If you remove the barrel you should be able to lock it using a screwdriver. Try that, then confirm it locks. If so, you need to reseat the barrel so the thing that looks a bit like a screwdriver lol is turning it. That's all I can think of without more info I'm afraid.

we have taken the barrel out and have tried locking it with a screwdriver and it does half a turn but not enough to lock / unlock if that makes sense ?

thing is first time we fitted it without the spring to check how it goes together ( as that spring is a right pain to do ) It locked and unlocked ok until you shut the door ....... we then had to put pressure on the key to make the doorpull engage and it was ok ....

When we took apart again and fitted the spring correctly etc ...... it now does not engage the doorpull etc ....

Edited by LynseyLou

update ...... shut the door and with barrel out the screwdriver engages the doorpull up and down so i know its working

its as though the paddle that inserts into the plastic slot isn' t reaching im getting somewhere at last