"Invisible mods?"

Bikerz

What are invisible mods that i can do without telling mr. incurance man?

Chips (would have thourght a chip is a chip ant tell difference even looking at it

Cams (well ud have to take whole block apart to get to, and even then would you be able to tell difference?)

What else people?

None...

If you cause a massive pileup on the motorway and cost them £10,000,000 or something, do you really think they're not going to be prepared to check if they can invalidate your policy or not?

It's not worth it - if you're not going to bother declaring your mods, why are you bothering paying for insurance in the first place? It amounts to the same thing.

yeha ok i see u there snoop. but surley they cant managed to see if its been polished? well its just i get screwed enough for incurance seeing if i can do anything withot declearing, like remover bump strips badgests etc... (tesco dont mind u changing stero up to £1000 either)

erm... to fit cams or port and polish the head, you have to erm.. remove the head.

Im sure even a non technicly trained insurance man you notice the green head gasket seal that has to be used by law if you take off your head.

While I have sympathy for your insurance costs for your age (hell, I still have them to a certain extent!), why just not wait? I can understand the frustration about having a car and wanting to do stuff to it, if its too expensive for you to insure with the stuff you want, then erm, wait till it isn't. Or of course, find more mod friendly insurance companies, thats what I'd do.

I just wouldn't bother focking around with insurance companies. It takes them long enough to pay out for a honest legitimate claim (believe me, I know), so fock knows how long they'd delay and stall if they suspected you'd modded and not told them, they'll use anything against you, so why take that risk for a bit more ££ a year. Plus I imagine they've had people not declaring stuff and then getting into an accident before, like any professional, an insurance inspector isn't stupid, if there are ways for him or her to spot stuff then they will.

yeah i see what ur saying. just trying to see if theres any i can do without being screwed. and tesco only let u declear a few mods untill ur 25!

what to do is scrap the idea of performance mods until later and just work on the body work , do a bit of colour coding get the lower bumpers painted , put some ice in it untill u can afford the insurance , come on i havea 1litre and i love ma car for all its rip roaring lady shave power ! and all i have had done is lower bumpers and spoiler and some ice ! besides u have the sport which already has a bit more poke than some cars

i used to work in insurance and the best thing i can tell you is, dont bul**** the company....it isnt worth the risk & like someone has already said, if there is a way to invalidate your cover they will find it.

on a more helpful note i used to be with tesco for my arosa and to be honest their quotes are good for standard cars but not if you start modifying them (extra £200+ for induction kit and lowering springs). I would just wait / spend the money on your stereo, alchohol or drugs then when you change insurer find one thats a little more forgiving for mods (mine is NIG set up through Adrian Flux)

• 1 month later...

I'm insured with direct line and when I eventually declared my mods which were:-

15 inch TSW Fly alloys

K&N Induction kit

Peco powermaster stainless system

Cav SRI bodykit

Carbon M3 mirrors

Big alloy spoiler which was wider than the car

Full interior swap from my Cav LSi to a Cav V6 leather interior

Ripped out the airbag and fitted a snap of steering system

Short shift gear lever

Interior neons

Cav GSI grill

and a few little extras to get a top speed of 143mph out of it (up the M6 from J16 to J31)

All they were bothered about was the alloys and said that none of the other stuff would affect my insurance.

Same with my Pajero convertable.

Gotta tell them about the Lupo yet. Would'nt matter much cos its only cost me £228 fully comp and I have a slapped wrist (CD10) and 4 points on my licence which come off at the end of the year (slight mispent youth).

what company only cared about the wheels? im sureprised they didnt add for that induction kit.

Direct Line.

When I broadsided my BMW into a tree avoiding a cyclist I had to claim on my own policy and they were very thorough.

The insurance assesor checked the geometry of the suspension, the tyre speed rating, the ride height as well as lots of other stuff but the point I am making is that they were very thorough and this was only on a 15K car with no other parties claiming against me.

I had to get BMW to back me up that 18inch wheels were accepted by them on an E36 3 series. Was scary as I did think at one point I would not get paid out but I did in the end.

If you hit a person or an expensive item (expensive car, telegraph pole) believ me they would check your car very well.

Also if someone crashes into you (not your fault say) their insurance may inspect your car and not pay out for you if they think your car is not properly insured with your insurance.

• 2 weeks later...