spoolsv.exe

IDGM

Each and every morning for the last few days, I get this memory can't be written error to do with spoolsv.exe then Windows XP blocks the process. All my networked printers vanish too. I restore to the last point it was OK and I'm fine. I reboot, and the same thing happens the next day.

I run AVG 9.0 on a purchased and updated version and have also double checked for nasties with Spybot. Internet advice seems to suggest it's OK or a virus/worm/trojan.

Anyone else experiencing similar (I run XP Pro) and solved it?

I put the call out and someone is coming in.

A more bizarre situation has happened with three other networked printers. All are unavailable on the network and they all worked fine on Friday. Pinging comes back as dead, yet from the same PCs, we can ping other printers fine and dandy. Another problem to add to the IT guys woes.

I had to sort these sort of problems at my old job, i've found that recreating the local profile worked and try adding the printer drivers again by replacing printer drivers not using current.

If you need any help just drop me a PM.

Hope this helps :)

Vinny

check the following for any old print files and clear them. c:\windows\system32\spool\printers\.. if there is anything in there remove it and then restart the spooler service. this should clear it. If it doesnt then check the printer drivers are set to win on the print processor setting. BRprint can cause this to happen.

Well it seems to be sorted out. I've had this Acer PC from new in Christmas week on XP Pro. It turns out that SP3 was missing despite all the updates it downloaded when it was first turned on.

• 2 months later...

I've had no problems since putting SP3 on. I just need to get rid of all the bundled Acer crap that loads up on start up now without knackering any drivers.

I've had no problems since putting SP3 on. I just need to get rid of all the bundled Acer crap that loads up on start up now without knackering any drivers.

How brave are you feeling?

Open regedit, then look in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

All your startup stuff is stored in there. I've got next to nothing in mine, just the antivirus program, sound stuff and the intel graphics software, that's about it.