System upgrade??

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Just recieved my comp 10. It is gorgeous. Cant believe how ****in' heavy it is tho'. Ive got a different set os T/S parameters and after inputting them it gives a similar curve to the previous ported version. so now its gonna be a sealed one. save messing around with all them ports. 8)

Dude my 12 is sealed and I just cant bring myself into losing the SQ from the box by going ported, as its so powerful even sealed.

Make the biggest box recomended, I went half way at 1cuft but I should have gone for 1.2 as its a little restricted (after months and months its still not run in!)

That was the first thing that hit me when I (tried) to lift the box it came in lol

Great sub.

Bet your well excited matey

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally got round to taking a couple of pics

Amprack.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

This is the rack. Alot of thought went into this, i had to be able to get to the battery without having to disconnect everything. i now only have to disconnect RCA's and unsrew the rack and move it out of the way.

Notice the fans and relay. One fan blows into the rack and the other out, to keep air flowing over the heatsinks.

rearcarpet.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

This is showing how much boot i have left. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> clap.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":clap:" border="0" alt="clap.gif" />

Edited by tshirt2k

• 1 year later...

Have decided to upgrade the fron end of my system as i think the infinitys are possibly a weak point in the system.

After many weeks of deciding i chose these

16012007028.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Rainbow SLC 165 Kick's

Looks like good quality items, may need to remake the MDF rings and rethink how the tweeters are positioned, because glued under the standard grills ma y not give the best sound.

A Pillar builds are out of the question, but may be able to fit them above the standard grills. Just need to know what direction to point them.

Any ideas? Some people say the right should be aimed at the pasenger and vice versa. May have to try the blue tack method.

Dude trust me, when you think about it, a 10" sub has 10" of cone area.

Obvious really, that 2 x 5" subs have the same cone area as one 10" sub.

Not trying to pick faults but thats not strictly true is it? From maths area of a circle is pi X r² right?

For the 10 inch sub:

pi X 5²=78.54 square inches

For the 5 inch subs:

pi X 2.5²=19.63 square inches

When multiplied by 2 (because there's 2 of them) this comes to 39.27 square inches which is only half of the 10 inch sub!

Small subs are usually better for sound quality though IMO, just not SPL.

NOCK

I know i realized this after i had posted it lol sorry I'm an idiot!

Still, mine had the maths behind it so the difference can be seen. I didn't think there would be that much of a difference and was a bit shocked when i banged the numbers in

NOCK

Small subs are usually better for sound quality though IMO, just not SPL.

NOCK

not spl? thats wrong placing a small sub in a large enclosure or ported box big spl... same sub in smaller box higher pitch sound and more sound rather than pressure.... its all to do with volumes, ported, enclosed or bandpass boxes, the sub itself and the amp running it to say little subs arent any got for spl is so so so wrong see here watch the 10" kill the pick up...

th_typer10.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Yeah but that sub will last about an hour doing that an then the cone will be ripped to shreds. A big sub gives bigger SPL because it shifts more air as it has a bigger surface area (as i showed above). You can't honestly believe that say a 10" sub is louder than a 15 or 18"?

P.S I'm talking if they are setup properly to manufacturer's requirements

NOCK

P.S I'm talking if they are setup properly to manufacturer's requirements

lol which SPL system is set up to manufacters requirements? tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Area size is not everything.

Have you heard the car with two 32" Clarions?

It was doing the sudio rounds a couple of years back, not sure if its still there.

It was no louder than some basic one 12" systems Ive seen measured.

'Max' on here had two 10" DD9110s in a 2.8cuft box in his Lupo which blew away most larger systems.

Box design has more impact on output that sub size imo.

Thing is you can drive a 10" sub to a high SPL just like you can rev your lupo to 6000 revs. But if you do it over any period of time what happens....it dies! For a system thats gonna be loud and last you need bigger subs in manufacturer's requirement boxes IMO

NOCK

Edited by LUPO NOCK

Thing is you can drive a 10" sub to a high SPL just like you can rev your lupo to 6000 revs. But if you do it over any period of time what happens....It dies! For a system thats gonna be loud and last you need bigger subs in manufacturer's requirement boxes IMO

NOCK

that alpine will run like that for year its got a 65mm stroke on it that sub still has more to go mate.

Unless i had first hand experience of it I wouldn't believe that it is capable of doing that for so long. Remaining skeptical, sorry, your probably right its just me being me lol

NOCK

Unless i had first hand experience of it I wouldn't believe that it is capable of doing that for so long. Remaining skeptical, sorry, your probably right its just me being me lol

NOCK

when my 12" version is in ill make a video of the throw on it they are designed to have a looooong stroke ant they have corrugated rubber to allow them to reach the peak of the stroke with ease and without straining the rubber. go on the alpine site you'll be impressed with the technology in their subs to allow them to go for massive spl.

Edited by eXXXtreme arosa

Okay and it all sounds very clever, but I personally don't think you could make it keep it traveling to its maximum excursion without eventually damaging it. It does sound very convincing though. Plus thats a 12"! which is exactly what i've been bigging up lol. That WILL be louder than the 10" version of exactly the same type, if run to manufacturers requirements.

NOCK