I got one!!!!!! - A lupo GTI that is...

bossjohnc

boss john c. Thats what I did when I got my current gti. One came up at a good price and I went for it. It's now got 34k on the clock. Runs ecellent, just fancied a new one (3 more years of warranty cover) wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Medway. Have you rang the garage to ask for a build date? They should have one on their database. ???

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've said this recently on the forum, and I'll say it again...

Once your VW Warranty runs out, if you want to keep the car get an AA Warranty!

They're better than VW ones!!

This is because the AA will shell out for everything up to £1000 at a time, parts and labour (with a £25 excess)

This makes the VW dealer very happy, and puts you in their good books. Any arguing over price etc is done by the AA and VW, and you're left out of the loop. Plus, VW seem far more keen to find faults when your car is out of warranty with them!

They'll put a warranty on anything up to 10 years old / 100,000 miles. The Lupo GTI should be about £200 - £250 / Year.

My VW warranty runs out next year, and I seem to remember to extend it I got quoted about £400 for another 2 years.

You'd recommend the AA one then bossjohn? What is the maximum cost of claims you can make in one year and are there any notable exceptions.

TBH I'd prefer to get an AA warranty for the reasons you stated, but I'd just like a bit more info.

Well, this is how I've played it with the AA warranty (I've had it for a few years on my Passat now).

1) Make sure you get your warranty as soon as your car comes out of VW warranty, so that the AA can't argue that the fault happened out of their warranty (and if they do, you can just pass them to VW).

2) Don't make a claim in the first month - if you try to, you'll end up paying for it! (it's in their terms, doesn't matter for renewals though). In fact it's probably best to get the AA one the month before your VW one expires (see above).

3) There's a £1000 limit per *fault*, so ensure that if you go over £1000 and you have more than one fault, the VW dealer says so (there's an excess for each fault obviously). The annual limit is the entire value of the car.

4) Try to encourage your dealer to get an account with the AA, (mine does), that way, there's no faffing - you just pay your excess. Otherwise you may have to pay for the repairs and claim back from the AA (which I've heard takes a month, but is generally reliable).

5) The AA will provide £25/day for a hire car while yours is in the garage, *however* (and they're strict on this) they won't pay for the first 24 hours, and your car must be in the garage being worked on on the day of hire, i.e. not sitting around waiting for parts. I think they'll pay for up to 7 days. Alternatively they'll put you (and any passengers) up for a night in a hotel if needed. Personally, I've always tried to get a courtesy car from the dealer as it's a lot less hassle.

6) There are plenty of exclusions from the warranty (e.g. bulbs, heated glass, different parts of the braking system etc) so make sure you're covered before you claim, otherwise you might be in for a nasty shock. Details available on the AA Website.

Edit:

Forgot one or two!

There's extra cover for MOT failure, so if your loop doesn't get through it's MOT, the AA will pay to have it fixed so it passes. I've never used this, so if you intend to it'd be a good idea to have a look.

No paint/bodywork is covered at all, but at this stage you shouldn't need to worry about that.

Always take it to an authorised dealer - the AA prefer that.

ooo... they keep changing things!

Just had a browse over the terms again... the maximum claim for any single failure is now £5,000.

I'm unsure as to whether they cover your electric mirrors/windows now... they may be referring to heated mirrors (the heating element failing).

They've certainly fixed my electric windows in the past, but that may have changed....

One of my workmates is of the opinion that the `post-manufacturer` warranties offered by the AA and other organisations aren't worth the paper they're written on. His reasoning for this is that he bought a second hand car with a "top of the range" warranty (`non-manufacturer`) and it didn't even cover his electric aerial.

He reckons that you're better not buying a warranty and putting the money towards repairs.

Personally, I would like the peace of mind of a warranty, and accept it's not going to be as comprehensive as a manufacturer's one, but it would annoy me if they were to quibble things like that.

I guess I'll have to study the terms and conditions of the AA warranty, but you've sold it well bossjohn. You're not on commission are you wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

No, not on comission!

It's true, the ICE is not covered, including the aerial, but I think as long as you know these things before you enter in to them, you're ok.

I would have spent £8 or £9k easily on my Passat if I didn't have a warranty, although I think I was a tad unlucky - not all cars (esp. Passats) fall apart that easily!

Like you say, it's all about peace of mind. I can cope with replacing my aerial, but if my gearbox falls to bits then I'm shafted without a warranty.

*sigh*

Can't sleep - get the loop on Monday at about 12:00... that means roughly 58 hours to go.

Been looking around the forum at loads of old posts so I know what to look for (e.g. problems) when I get there.

Have to make a 3 hour train journey to Hereford.

Absolutely cannot wait.

Aha! Someone in the same boat as me!

So what colour's yours? New/Used?

Are you travelling far?

Already planned that on Monday, I'm going from Hertford down to see my GF's parents in Winchester, then up to Manchester for new years, then back home to London.

May be a few days before I report back - but I'll try to do it before I set off to Winch.

Was well pleased when i picked mine up .. Had it for 9 weeks now and loved every minute of it.. Bought mine from a dealer in chelmsford with 1 years warranty and will look into extending it when it comes up.

QUOTE(bossjohnc)
Been looking around the forum at loads of old posts so I know what to look for (e.g. problems) when I get there.

Make sure it has locking wheel nuts fitted

Check the paint around the rear bumper and rear arches, and the sills under the doors

Make sure the leccy windows go back up

Make sure the centre console that has the cupholders is screwed on

Compressor, metal catch for getting the centre caps off the wheels and the can of tyre repairer is in the boot where the spare wheel should be

Check the battery cover is not cracked

Check the bonnet and tailgate are straight (both my lupos had dodgy bonnet fit)

No condensation in high level brake light

Check the headlamp washers operate correctly

@Twisty

I had all of those except for the paint on the bumper/arches, centre console (although as this is an ex demo I doubt if that's been touched), the battery cover and the bonnet/tailgate.

I'll add them to my list!

Other things I have are - make sure the rear wash/wipe works (if it doesn't I gather it can be a serious problem as the water may be going elsewhere), also the triangle and emergency kit in the back. (EDIT: No - there is no triangle/first aid kit as standard)

Any more anyone?

QUOTE(bossjohnc)
Aha! Someone in the same boat as me!

So what colour's yours? New/Used?

Are you travelling far?

Already planned that on Monday, I'm going from Hertford down to see my GF's parents in Winchester, then up to Manchester for new years, then back home to London.

May be a few days before I report back - but I'll try to do it before I set off to Winch.

Its used, silver, 6 speed.

only travelling about 10 miles, i was lucky to find one fairly local that matched the spec i was after.

arrhh 25 horus to go !!

the triangle and emergency kit in the back.

Is that on the spec list? It wasn't when I bought mine.....

Hmm, not sure where I read that - the standard spec says "Storage area for first aid kit and warning triangle" which sounds like it isn't included.

So, baj, Price? Mileage? Age? It sounds identical to mine so far!