Headlamp Bulb Upgrades

54Arosa

Hi guys,

Just ordered some xenon look bulbs for my arosa, the H3's have come through as 55W which is all fine - however the H7's have come through as 100W, i am aware that these are not legal for road use, but will it cause problems with any wiring/my lamps if fitted due to addition heat and current?

thanks for any help

Why are you even fitting them if they aren't legal?

It shouldn't cause any wiring issues but the fuses may not like it. Don't just whack a bigger fuse in though, they're rated to the cable so to do that you would need to put bigger cable in, more hassle than its worth.

I have some pretty good OEM Xenons in mine and they are a straight swap and miles better than the standard bulbs.

You could also use Osram Nightbreakers.

Watts = Amps x Volts

55 watts draws 4.5 amps of current

100 watt bulbs draw 8.3 amps....

Edited by mattarosa

Thanks mate, I ordered them in error, wasn't aware they were 100w at the time, haven't fitted them and wont be fitting them, I ordered them because they were on offer and thought I was getting a good deal!

I cant off the top of my head remember what the CSA of the headlight cable is I think its .5-1mm which is rated to 11amps, but then you need a correction factor in for the heat which at 65 degrees is 0.35, so that would give your 1mm cable a carrying capacity of 3.85 amps. sorry going into to much detail now :paperbag:

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd be a typical ignorant rebelious teen and fit them anyway, had them in over a week and they look great, havent blown any fuses and as far as i can tell all my wiring is fine because everything is still working spot on

Thought I'd be a typical ignorant rebelious teen and fit them anyway, had them in over a week and they look great, havent blown any fuses and as far as i can tell all my wiring is fine because everything is still working spot on

Glad to hear. Are you keeping them on for a long time or just a few minutes though? As you can guess, you damage your wiring if left on for a long time. Higher the resistance, the higher the heat, the higher the heat, the higher resistance until ultimately, your wire burns out (this has happened in the past).

Personally, I think 100w bulbs are pretty ****ing stupid. Standard halogen bulbs are fine in this country and if you're not happy, a 100w bulb is still no brighter than a good HID kit, so perhaps that's a better option?

All fine until your cables catch fire, burning your car out, insurance find out about none road legal bulbs on the road bye bye insurance payout.

• Like 1

You guys are big ninnys. Had 100w beams on other cars. Some of the roads up here in Scotland are dark! No blowing up the car or setting it on fire.

If it's your main beam then your annoying. But beams that are only used on dead country roads is fine by me.

You guys are big ninnys. Had 100w beams on other cars. Some of the roads up here in Scotland are dark! No blowing up the car or setting it on fire.

If it's your main beam then your annoying. But beams that are only used on dead country roads is fine by me.

So just fit HID's?

I already have hids. I think hids for high beams wouldn't work great if you just wanted to flash some one.

Fit Dual HID's. There's always a solution :)

Not a big deal.

Till PC Plod wants them removed due to not having headlamp wash fitted. Yes the car will pass an MOT without them but police use construction and use regs.

Where can I get a HID kit from?

Loads of places.

Till PC Plod wants them removed due to not having headlamp wash fitted. Yes the car will pass an MOT without them but police use construction and use regs.

PC Plod can pull you for having 100watt bulbs. If you buy a set, the box will usually note that they are not road legal and are for 'off-road' or 'show' use only.

I know numerous people with HID kits and so long as they are:

a. Not too bright (only use 35w and use the high beam in countryside or unlit areas only).

b. Not too blue (4000k, 4300k, 6000k tops, anything above and you're asking for trouble).

c. Calibrated correctly (use standard calibration technique on a garage wall) with the correct guard.

then you run almost no risk of getting nicked. I would say 95% of people who get pulled with HID's either have ridiculously blue lights, have them on high beam permanently, haven't calibrated them or have them shoved in a reflector headlamp without a suitable guard resulting in light scattered all over the place.

Simples.