bit of a problem with my car....

Joeww

hello, i drive a 1.0 lupo, and ever since ive had it, the warning light with a lighting bolt and check running through it has been on, ive owned it for 2 years, and ive had it looked at and was told there wouldn't be much point fixing the problem because it would cost too much for what it was (very good friend is a garage owner) and that it wasn't a problem really, so the light then went out after being checked, but came back on within a few days. that was last summer. no problems at all with the car what so ever, up until Sunday evening on my way home from work. started it up, and it sounded like it was a tractor! sounded like it was running on one less cylinder than it had that morning ( im not a mechanic or anything....) and i noticed a significant lack in power while driving it, like it had gone into 'get-me-home-safety' mode or something. the engine warning light, which had never previously blinked or flashed, started flashing for a few minutes after i switched the ignition on! never seen it flash before! so all of that added together really worried me. so, drove home, about 11 miles, normal speeds, mostly b-a roads, and checked the oil....absolutely none...(****...) topped it up, sat it there idling to get the oil around, still sounding like a tractor. left it idling a while longer, drove it about my estate, switched it off and left it over night. came home tonight from being out, it still sounds awful, still has very little power and idles horrendously and makes the car vibrate and shake while doing so. no idea what is wrong with it. help. please, thank you.

It just sounds like it's misfiring to me. Coil pack, new HT leads and some new plugs and I reckon you'll be fine. Regarding the oil, you should really be checking that regularly, but trust me, most cars in the last 20 years are engineered so they can run on practically no oil. If the oil was so low that you were damaging components the oil pressure warning light would have come on. If it didn't, you've probably done no damage.

Coil Pack first,

then leads

then plugs.

You'll be sorted.

cheers mate, it went to the garage today, and one of the sparkplugs had gone and i think he said coil pack leak or soemthing! all fixed for 100 quid. now selling my car haha! been driving it for 2 years, want to get a 1.4 16v sport. preferably in black...

should have been almost double that for the work, but a very good friend is the director of a mot center/garage! yh i really want a black one! found a few but either too far away or out of my budget!

I assume by a leaking coil pack, he means it was leaking to the nearest ground instead of the combustion chamber.

That's about right really, I'm guessing he hasn't really charged you any labour. A good coil pack is £60. eBay specials are not good. A BERU is an OEM supplier so will cost somewhere in the region of £60-£80. Four spark plugs is like £13-£15 if you go Bosch. If you go better, you can pay a tenner a plug. I assume he's left in the same leads? You should really change your leads when you change your coil pack and your plugs, but if the plan is to sell the car then I wouldn't worry.

£200 would be a bit steep mind!

my mate is the owner of a bosch service place aha! turns out a lead fro sparkplugs had snapped and almost destroyed the coil pack, he reolaced all leads and splugs, did some other things that needed to be done and my car is allll fine now!

finding it really tricky to get hold of a sport lupo though! far and few between really!