Gearbox conversion 5 too 6 speed gti

Mattz341

Found a couple of threads that say it can be done, then a few that say it's more than just the box needed. Last thing posted was rich saying it's a simple swap, if someone can just clarify that for me!

Wow, if you're not having me on then I didn't expect that! And anyway Dblock, can you shed any light on my question?

Sorry mate I can't. I only actually clicked onto the thread since I thought it was a tdi question.

Why do you want to swap you box broken or you want the longer gear?

Bit of both really, my synchro for third is on it's way out and If I'm replacing the box then I thought about upgrading to the 6 speed, one other thing! Does the 6 speed have a limited slip diff in it? As my 5 speed does now. Just wondered if it was a standard, if I was going for the longer 6th then I'd probably swap it out with another gear as the 5th gear and 6th gear in each box respectively is pretty similar ratio wise.

Bit of both really, my synchro for third is on it's way out and If I'm replacing the box then I thought about upgrading to the 6 speed, one other thing! Does the 6 speed have a limited slip diff in it? As my 5 speed does now. Just wondered if it was a standard, if I was going for the longer 6th then I'd probably swap it out with another gear as the 5th gear and 6th gear in each box respectively is pretty similar ratio wise.

How smart are you? (I'm not being insulting)

If you're thinking on ratios, there is definately some fun to be had.

It doesn't, Quaiffe developed a few then no more.

Until the FSI engines brought back the 02T gearbox, now there are a lot more options available including ratios and diffs are readily available now too.

I learnt this when I was changing a third and the baulk ring has been superseded by the TSI item but the actual synchro hasn't, you can't use one without the other.

Thank you for all that dissasembly/reassembly VW. I wouldn't have been so annoyed except this is only noticeable when it is all assembled and back in the car.

So if you're game, feel free to explore the ratios and report back.

Quick question then, the standard test to see if it's an open or LSD would be to jack the front of the vehicle up and put the car into 1st or any gear and try and then turn the wheel, if just one wheel spins then it's an open diff, right? But if both spin it generally means that it's an LSD yeah?

Anyway that's slightly off topic, I'd consider changing the ratios, I'll have to look into what the standard is now and then have a think lol, I do a lot of long journey driving as I'm part of a race team and we go all over the place so I'd be looking for a comfortable 6th gear to sit at 80. Because realistically that's the kind of speed I'll be siting at!

So just to confirm, it's a direct swap, I don't need new drive shafts or a new linkage or anything and it mounts using the standard ones I have?

Yes, that is how you test for an LSD off the car, driving it you would know straight away.

Everyone likes a nice 80 ratio, that is the accepted speed.

Straight swap.

Then I do have an LSD as when the car was in the air both wheels turned when one was.

As for the driving, I wouldn't know what the difference was to be honest as I've not driven anything but Lupo's!

Brilliant, thanks for clearing that up for me Rich!

Also, what do you do as a profession? I don't trust Dblock's answer lol!

Right I suppose I'll stop poking my nose in then :P

Found these values for gear ratios for the 6 speed box. Gonna have a look at ETKA and see if i can find any more data on them.

Transmission / Gear ratio

1th gear ratio:3,17:1

2th gear ratio:1,96:1

3th gear ratio:1,39:1

4th gear ratio:1,14:1

5th gear ratio:0,93:1

6th gear ratio:0,78:1

With the final drive being

4.19:1