Engine Management light. EGR valve or Oil temp sensor

Hey guys,

My engine management lights been on for quite some time (I know that sounds stupid but its been fine)

I'm 99% sure the problem is just the oil temperature sensor, and i'm not sure if this is a big issue or not to be honest.

I've put out a request for used parts for the sensor and/or whatever it needs. Is it a big thing to get fitted. im not sure at all what the parts i need/have gone wrong are.

sorry if this sounds ridiculously stupid!

forgot to say. The reason for the thinkihng behind it being an oil temp sensor fault is because say 1 in 10 times I get in the car the temperature gauge will read 0 (not even on the scale) which obviously isn't correct otherwise the car wouldn't run. so I figured it must be the sensor.

Well done Kristin, I'm impressed!

OP, that gauge is for your coolant temperature. A new one is approx £30 from VW and they are easy to change.

Essentially it's telling your ECU is -250 so it's pouring fuel in like there is no tomorrow, which is causing the emissions to go out of spec and is activating the check light.

Solution - change sensor, clean throttle body and clean EGR, then take it for a long motorway run

OP, that gauge is for your coolant temperature. A new one is approx £30 from VW and they are easy to change.

Essentially it's telling your ECU is -250 so it's pouring fuel in like there is no tomorrow, which is causing the emissions to go out of spec and is activating the check light.

Solution - change sensor, clean throttle body and clean EGR, then take it for a long motorway run

surely -250 to the engine would flood it on starting and make it a non starter?

the temp senders on vw's control a vast range of things, but it's water temp not oil, as kirstin quite rightly pointed out(she knows a thing or two about oil pressure switches now, eh k?) geoff

surely -250 to the engine would flood it on starting and make it a non starter?

They appear to give random temperatures at random intervals when they break, I was simplifying and dramatising things for the OP

That's very patronising :( plus, it was mattarosa that wrote that

the temp senders on vw's control a vast range of things, but it's water temp not oil, as kirstin quite rightly pointed out(she knows a thing or two about oil pressure switches now, eh k?) geoff

Yes haha :P

well then thats made me feel sufficiently stupid!

thanks a lot you guys for the replies, i'll have to get on to buying a coolant temperature sensor asap.

would this have been causing lower fuel economy? I havnt noticed it drop but then again Its been on for quite some time!

so list of things, source a engine coolant sensor

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Lupo-All-Engines-1999-2003-Temperature-Coolant-Water-Sensor-TS4-/171147843224?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d934d698

is this the right thing? only a fiver?

or is this more like what i need?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Variant2-Intermotor-Coolant-Temperature-Sender-Unit-Genuine-OEM-Quality-Engine-/191006614764?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ALupo&hash=item2c78e1a4ec

apologies for ebay links but thats the best i could find

thanks again

well then thats made me feel sufficiently stupid!

thanks a lot you guys for the replies, i'll have to get on to buying a coolant temperature sensor asap.

would this have been causing lower fuel economy? I havnt noticed it drop but then again Its been on for quite some time!

so list of things, source a engine coolant sensor

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Lupo-All-Engines-1999-2003-Temperature-Coolant-Water-Sensor-TS4-/171147843224?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d934d698

is this the right thing? only a fiver?

or is this more like what i need?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Variant2-Intermotor-Coolant-Temperature-Sender-Unit-Genuine-OEM-Quality-Engine-/191006614764?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ALupo&hash=item2c78e1a4ec

apologies for ebay links but thats the best i could find

thanks again

Absolutely. A coolant temperature sensor that's defective will usually inject more fuel, or at least read bad values as has been pointed out and can massively affect your fuel economy.

The top one looks a bit weird, I thought they were green and it looks kind of short? Anyway, I wouldn't touch cheap copies. They don't tend to last very long.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Audi-Seat-1-9-TDI-Green-4-Pin-Coolant-Temperature-Sensor-059-919-501-A-/130736903303?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ALupo&hash=item1e7086d487

Edited by Skezza