Evening all, wannabe lupo owner here :)

Alex.T.Gates

Hi all,

I'm Alex and I'm an automotaholic...

Im actually here to look for a daily commuter of all things, I've owned my fair share of ridiculous cars from vtec Hondas to Toyota rally cars, to my current combination of a low and far from slow Nissan 300ZX TT & ridiculously tall and wide Landrover Defender 90 pickup offroader.

Up until now every penny I've earned has gone towards modifying them, making them faster, stronger, lighter and forever looking into the next project.

However I've just turned 24... And i'm looking to move in with my missus ("don't do it!" I hear you cry :P )

But due to the distance between us and our places of work it'll mean a 60 mile a day round trip at least for us each!

So a pair of little commuters is definitely in order.

And for some reason the lupo and its little European heart is screaming out to me... Which is odd because I have avoided the euro/VAG scene up until now.

But I like the looks, I've sat in a few and they're pretty comfy for what they are and not to mention the fantastic mpg achievable from their little lumps.

So I've done a lot of geeking up and whilst of course everyone looking for little pocket rocket would want a gti, I've already got 350rwhp, more turbos than I can hold onto and I can drive anywhere, anyhow, where my only worry in the world being "when will the fuel run out!"

So I'm actually really really tempted by the potential and tuneability of the little 1.4tdi's

I was going to visit one that had been recently posted up on auto trader, blue, lowered, gti interior, 85k on the clock full vw history, unfortunately it has since been taken down so I assume sold.. :(

So I'm looking.

I've got my eyes open for a post 2001 1.4tdi with the £30 road tax, can be modified, but ultimately must be clean and reliable

I have cash waiting, talk to me!

I'll have a gander through your classifieds shortly.

Thanks for having me, I hope to speak to you and hopefully me and the missus will join in with the lupo community very soon!

Cheers

Alex

It looks like I should really have put the above "wanted" statement in your "wanted" section of classifieds... My apologies admin.

However I have just tried to post a wanted ad in there and have so far been unsuccessful.. I can't see any way to start a new thread/classified feature

Do I need admin permission or X amount of posts?

Cheers

Alex

Welcome Alex, may I just say THE best name. I must ask for pictures of your motors, especially the 300ZX. I do believe you need a minimum post count, it could be 5, I'm not sure. Good luck in your Lupo search!

P.S your English is good, I like it.

Alex

Hey,

Thanks for the warm welcome other Alex :)

I can certainly grab a few snaps of my cars if you like :)

And well I guess thats a good compliment, I cant bring myself to look a little retarded for the sake of saving a few seconds...

Thats not targeting or aimed at any individual or stereotyped group, I personally just don't think it comes across all that intelligent.

ANYWAY. I digress..

What I was going to say is, I've been looking for about 2 weeks now and only 1 decent 1.4tdi has popped up, so I can safely assume they are quite sort after..

Comparing figures of the 1.7 sdi against the 1.4tdi, whilst 20% down on power and even more so in torque in comparison, it does achieve similar mpg figures..

I was just wondering if anyone can give me a reason not to wait for a 1.4tdi to turn up?

Is there at all a bright spark in my future from owning the 1.7 engine over its little perky brother?

Have there been many turbo conversions?

Is there a tdi version in another VAG model that could potentially be dropped in it's place?

Cheers guys and gals

Alex

Hi Alex,

Great to read a proper post!

Firstly, you should be able to post in the Classifieds as we have no requirements that I am aware of.

TDis are great little cars. With a remap to around the 100bhp mark, whilst not as quick off the line as the GTI, once moving they make a good job of keeping on one's tail. Even pre map they can be hard to shake through the twisties due to the torque.

All whilst giving good mpg when cruising and driving sensibly.

The later models even come with GTI interior.

Obviously the GTI has the looks, badge and exclusivity, but that comes with a 6 month bill of £110.

Good luck in you quest!

Hey Silver,

(may I call you long John?)

Thanks for your warm welcome!

I have indeed been looking at both the arosa and the lupo, I've left a message with this silver arosa today:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201310229402721

And also enquired about this gem of a lupo!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181238645301&globalID=EBAY-GB

Does this lupo have any history on here?

I'd like to get in touch with them if they are :)

It is a little above what I had hoped to spend, but it could be worth it?

I've not heard back from either of them yet but I hope to soon!

There is also a little yellowish one down on the south coast advertised on ebay at the moment, but because of that reason alone I've not got the best feeling about it.. Don't like coastal cars!

Cheers

Alex

Well both have got back to me, which is nice :)

And I'm kind of swaying the same way John, it's cheaper, less miles, closer, owned by an older couple, and a blank canvas for me to work on..

But the lupo is so gorgeous already!

Gahhhh!

Potentially seeing the lupo on Friday if I haven't already been to see and bought the arosa.

Will hopefully get a visit organised today once I've woken up..

Bloody gta online keeping me up until 3-4 is occurring all to often..

Night all :)

So I am a proud owner of a little Arosa 1.4tdi!

It drives very well, the only thing that concerns me is the doors make horrendous clunking noises as you reach the various steps in the hinge, is this normal?

I will investigate properly when I can be bothered

20131029_133729.jpg20131029_133737.jpg20131029_133747.jpg

She's pretty tidy on the outside but the inside needs a good old clean.

Will post pics of other cars for those who asked soon

Nice Mean looking Landy!

Arosa looks tidy. Door checks are shot. There a way to repair the bushes, check the Archive and How too section, or they are about £15 from the dealer.

I had a poverty spec 1.0 Arosa and loved the plain pale grey interior. Was a bugger to keep clean though.

It is a bit of a monster :)

Much prefer the Z mind you :D

And thanks for that, I'll probably buy new in that case

Can I technically get bits I need in future from German and Swedish?

And it's nice enough interior I guess, surprisingly supporting too.

So far I've done about 110 miles to just over a quarter of a tank, which I'm more than happy about!

Obviously the dial could yet be biased as I've not run a whole tank yet, but it looks promising!

I've also just bought one of those bluetooth obd2 connectors to run the torque app for android devices(finally I have a car new enough to give it a try)

Can't wait for it to arrive, anyone had any experience with this software?

Its much cheaper and tidier than installing a screw load of extra gauges if nothing else and has a 100ms refresh rate on the dials so shouldn't notice too much of a laggy output

Cheers

Alex

That ZX looks awesome. Let me know how you get on with the bluetooth OBD2 things. I've been looking at them but had no money to play about with.

Get the car remapped ASAP IMO. Way better to drive. Arosa's tend to have a funny gauge. The first 1/4 takes ages to go down but after 1/2 way it shoots down really quick.

Ok well it's here, had to download a couple of patches for it to work on my Galaxy S4 for it to work, something about the comm ports being locked?

Anyway other than that it's literally been plug and play!

Organised what gauges I want and bam!

Tge one thing that I need to have a play with is the timebase on the mpg graphing, it's too quick so it's just a bunch of spikes every time you let off your getting 200 odd mpg because your rolling, I want it to take an average of your readings and put them on a 10s timebase or something..

Same with the horsepower & torque estimation, you floor it and it fluctuates too quickly to properly read the bloody graph

But yeah very happy, just gotta get me a tablet cradle now :)

I am going to give it a good old service, oil, filters, perhaps have a look at cleaning up the probably pretty gammy inlet.

May look into blanking this Egr, people seem to recommend it on every diesel model I've looked into, the only downside is it runs a little hotter potentially...

But I quickly have a list building, which is bad, as this car is supposed to be saving me money!

But revo map =£200

superchip map =£300

I want a straight pipe made up, probably another £200

I need lows and tightening up too

Coilovers seem rather expensive..

Any recommended Polybush kits?

Gti ARB's worth looking into?

Then it's just a tidy set of wheels...

That's getting on for new tyre money for my 10j rota gtr's... Which are desperately needed too..

God damn you dirty daily, why do you do this to me!