What to do with Lupo to sell.

jodiec

Got a yellow 1 litre lupo, 02 plate, 99,500 miles. Moved house and rarely use a car now so am wanting to sell. MOT due early next month and tax runs out at the end of this month. Few easy-fix problems listed below-

Dint in back bumper

Couple of paint marks from being scraped by a bus

heater only works on full blast

lights on the heater console don't work (fuse or bulb needed)

Needs cambelt change

Car had new clutch/gearbox about 18 months ago and new brake pads/discs about 3 months ago. It's got part service history and has only had 2 lady owners since new so its been driven well and not ragged about!

I've got details of pretty much everything it's had done to it since I bought it and to my knowledge, it still runs very well.

Question is, what price should I be asking for it? Someone in the know about cars who loves lupos would probably be able to do it up quite cheaply or use it for parts but as I'm not really willing to MOT it as I don't use it I don't really know what I should ask and weather I can sell something 'as seen' as I'm not really in the know about selling cars. I guess it's a gamble buying from a private buyer and that's just a risk you take?

Any advice would be welcome. Im going to post it on the classfieds later with photos etc but also if anyone wants to make me a sensible offer on here that would be good. I'm in York. I guess it could also be good for parts if someone wanted it for that.

Jodie

Edited by jodiec

If I'm honest, I wouldn't pay £500, so you might want to consider just breaking it. While I appreciate I haven't seen photos there's a couple of things that jump out to me:

1. MOT running out... and before you say it'll easily pass, go get an MOT then ;) What's an MOT? Less than £50 from most garages... If it'll pass, go get one, instantly makes the car more desirable.

2. Imminent Cambelt Change - £200 job.

3. Quite high mileage.

Fair comments, thanks.

I wouldn't say it'll pass the MOT easily- you never know that till you have one. I just didn't really want to spend out on it if it's not going to be used. I've got a price in mind but not sure how to go about breaking it and then how you sell the parts after that.

Definitely get that MOT done. The fact that you haven't had it done will put loads of people off. Even if it fails the MOT at least people will be able to see what needs doing.

When you sell the car privately it is generally understood that it is "as seen", unless you make specific representations. eg don't say it's "good for another 5 years" or that it "never breaks down".

Check out other cars on autotrader of a similar age and mileage to get an idea of price. I should think you'll get closer to £1k than £500 with a valid MOT.

The cambelt is a potential issue but only for buyers who know what they're doing. It depends how honest you want to be. You could just ignore the issue and maybe someone who doesn't know anything about cars will buy it without realising. If you point out that it needs a new cambelt you might appear more trustworthy though, than someone who throws away the service history to pretend they don't know.

• 2 weeks later...