Budget Speaker Upgrade

Hey,

I'm looking to upgrade my door speakers. Nothing special, just a cheap set of reasonable aftermarket speakers. I guess after 12 years the OEM speakers are probably past their peek so I figured a new set might help out and improve the chooooooooooooooons lol.

I've been recommended a few sets but I have literally no idea regarding what is okay and what's **** so I'll just go ahead and name with link:

EDGE ED206: http://www.amazon.co.uk/EDGE-ED206-Co-Axial-Watts-Speakers/dp/B001MLYYJY

4-way Co-axial, apparently made by Vibe on the cheap.

Mac Audio: http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-Street%2016.2F_p-27286_reviewtab-1.htm

Been told these are absolutely excellent for the money and apparently Mac Audio has a long running reputation for making good stuff.

JVC: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-CS-V627-DRVN-Series-16cm-6-5-2-Way-Coaxial-Car-Speakers-230W-/370782062016?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item56545545c0

Apparently good sound quality, but excellent build quality, and last for ages.

there are others but these were the ones I'd narrowed down to. I'm not really after component speakers as I just want a fairly plug and play straight swap (Don't mind soldering a few wires, but components sound a right ****er).

@Pete91

Doesn't that mean I have to buy a crossover filter which means mounting it somewhere and also replacing the OEM tweeters?

@Dblock

Yep, which is why I figured a pair of drop in co-ax might be best for a budget upgrade.

Yea I thought all Lupo's did?

I'm not clued up. Ok then personally I would go comps. I know its more headache but the standard speakers in the lupo are very very good. If you want an upgrade I'd get some second hand comps.

I'm not clued up. Ok then personally I would go comps. I know its more headache but the standard speakers in the lupo are very very good. If you want an upgrade I'd get some second hand comps.

really? So you reckon I should avoid budget brands like the ones i put in my original post?

really? So you reckon I should avoid budget brands like the ones i put in my original post?

The thing with sound is that its subjective e.g. what sounds good to you will sound rubbish to another person. Some people are happy with super budget systems and if the sound in the lupo was crap id agree. But 3 I have drove have all had oem speakers first and sounded very good for being oem.

If you replace them with something naff it might be a false economy. Plus I think with added coax's you might drag the sound stage down.

Maybe it's worth me doing some sound deadening instead then. :/

Well it is worth it but honestly if you can buy some comps for about £50 even better if second hand as they might have been hundreds of £ before but you will notice the difference in smoothness and punchiness and clarity over the cheapest of the cheap. I find the really nasty stuff sounds decent at first but is tiring to listen to as its all muddy treble and rubbish bass. With better speakers it will be like night and day plus you can always sell it, plus its better sound, plus they can be amped, sometimes the xover can be adjusted to suit your sound taste etc etc.

Well it is worth it but honestly if you can buy some comps for about £50 even better if second hand as they might have been hundreds of £ before but you will notice the difference in smoothness and punchiness and clarity over the cheapest of the cheap. I find the really nasty stuff sounds decent at first but is tiring to listen to as its all muddy treble and rubbish bass. With better speakers it will be like night and day plus you can always sell it, plus its better sound, plus they can be amped, sometimes the xover can be adjusted to suit your sound taste etc etc.

I'll keep my eye out for a second hand set of components then. I notice Halfrauds are selling super cheap components, but this goes back to what I was saying before, the last thing I want to do is make the sound worse. I just want to improve it a bit. I'm not really that keen on amping or anyhing. I don't require my music super loud, but I'd just prefer a slight improvement in tone and I figured a new set of speakers would be game for that.

Do I need to get a crossover filter or something if I do go for components?

I assume those Alpines are better than these:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_723485_langId_-1_categoryId_265870

:D :D

Out of curiosity, can you wire component speakers in with the factory tweeters? I don't fancy removing them. Also I assume you can run components off the head unit without an amp, if so how do you wire in the crossover?

The wires split off somewhere behind the dash toward the tweeters, i couldnt be arsed ****ing around. Ran new cables and grafted my alpine tweeters into the oem housings.

Why would you want to? Defeats the purpose?

Components speakers come with your big mid woofer so 5 or 6" a tweeter and a xover?

because if you want the tweeter don't you have to break the OEM ones and glue the new tweeter to the casing

Yes but thats the point? lol

Well, yeah, but you can't really reverse that can you? Like, if I fitted a set of drop-in Co-ax, I could remove them if I sold the car, and put the originals back in?

Well, yeah, but you can't really reverse that can you? Like, if I fitted a set of drop-in Co-ax, I could remove them if I sold the car, and put the originals back in?

If you lost £50 for the time you used them would it be so bad?