small subs rear

im trying to avoid sticking a sub in the boot. i believe you can get small subwoofers to go in car doors and i was just wondering if it would be worth sticking these in the back hole cut outs for a little bit of rumble. dont need it rear view mirror shaking as ive done that one, just want an even sound range as the factory speakers are on their last legs so im thinking my next endeavour should be the sound. im no audio geek but im guessing i'd need an amp and a maybe crossover? is it also worth replacing the the speaker wires if i was overhauling the whole system or would splicing speakers onto the existing wires (door speakers) suffice

I know you said you wanted to avoid putting one in the boot, but I remember measuring up for one of these and was sure it would fit http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/archive/TS-WX77A/page.html

Slim enough for the boot to remain useable, and you could still fold both seats and lay stuff on in when necessary.

A good set of 6x9's will give reasonable bass, if amp'd. If you are using an amp you will need new wires anyway. Then a nice set of components for the front should finish it off nicely without too much ££ either.

Get some decent comps and be done with it. Got 180wrms per channel on my mids and 50wrms x2 on my tweeters (running active) and it kicks like a mule. But still added a sub as I love bass but really you won't need one if you match your stuff correctly.

cheers folks, my cousins going out with someone who does ice installs so i'll try and pick his brains and also see if i can listen to someones 6/9s before i go ahead. will splicing new speakers on the vw existing looms suffice or is that just a waste of time?

• 4 weeks later...

I used the spare wheel well for an amplified sub and a hidden amp for a 6x9 stealth shelf works a treat. you can have mirror shaking bass or nice and subtle. all depends on how you set it. and you can still use the boot (what there is of it)