Alternator fuse blown randomly?

Just put my engine back in put the rest of the car together and as soon as i attached the negative cable BAANG the fuse to the alternator went, which seems strange any ideas why?

IMG_0666.jpg

any help will be appreciated :)

Is that the alternator fuse? I always thought that was just called the main fuse...

either way, I blew it a while back trying to jump start my Lupo, there was an almighty bang and a big flash. I'd shorted the jump leads. You have to be pretty careful, they're 80amp fuses, although if VW now give you 50amp fuses. Couldn't say for sure if you shorted it, but if you did that would certainly cause that. I have a feeling I blew the fuse on the positive line though, so I don't know.

If you can get down to VW they're about 40p each. Might just be a bit of bad luck. If it keeps blowing, which I imagine it won't, you might need to change the cable down to the alternator, but I suggest just changing the fuse first and giving it a day or two.

I've ordered in a new one which was £3.50 so somehow I managed to blow a 110A fuse, any other suggestions to why cause I don't wanna blow that one either =/
yeah I guessed lol looks simple enough

Fair enough, learn something everyday :)

You don't need a dealer to change it by the way, it's easy enough.

• 1 year later...

Hi All

Does anyone have a picture/ explanation to show where about in the car this fuse is located?

Is it the only fuse in the circuit and is there any relays?

My battery lights staying on and the car isn't charging.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1