Just remapped my Tdi! £45 :o DIY!

Rickpercy87

Dblock where you based? I am in Edinburgh and have ordered my cable but I am slightly nervous about carrying out the upload!

In Dundee. Honestly you will be fine. If you have the MPPS cable you can even unflash it if you muck it up which you wont.

Only thing I will say it connect a battery charger to the car, also I tried this with my polo but it had to be bench flashed in the end.

This too.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone explain the difference they found once remapped? Like more power but how is the power delivered now?

Massive difference. Power comes in about 1.5k and stays till about 3k. Before remap you have a little boost from 2k till 2.2k. It's pretty linear though after the intial boost.

I did mine at the weekend. I found that the power band moved further up so before it had all the power between 1.5k to 3k and now it pulls harder to about 3.5k.

Was hard to notice any difference around town but on the motorway in 5th between 60 and 80 there was big difference I think.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread instead of hijacking the other remap thread LOL.

Got my lead today: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262011928858

It is seems good quality, fat leads, I might open it and have a peek at the soldering in the box at some point.

I'm on Windows 7 x64. Software needs extracting and installing and manually find the driver in MPPS folder. Run the desktop link as administrator otherwise you go round in circles and nothing happens.

I took 2 dumps of my ecu and file compare shows they are identical. They are very small though at 204Kb, i was expecting a couple of megabytes for the time it took (1:45)... :lol:

VAGEDCsuite doesnt open them saying checksum error. :(

Should i have done a full K line dump instead of data only (default)?

My map isnt standard as it has been remapped in the past but any ideas on opening the files helpful.

Cheers

Edited by Sausage

Just took 2 full dumps and file size is the same 204kb size as above and i have no checksum at all, so cant open them in VAGEDCsuite.

Car starts and runs so reluctant to mess about correcting checksum at the moment.

What size is your ecu dump? What checksum do you have? what ecu?

Mine is 204kb, no checksum and edc15p15p (if i remember right).

Edit: ok checksum from original unmodded file is needed to open it apparently. Winols opens it, but isnt very intuitive. I probably need an original file.

Edit 2: H'mmm cant do anything with this map it seems unless i fancy my hand at hex editing, there are no common maps detected within it by WinOLS for me to edit. Anyone got a Lupo tdi ecu map i can play with, standard or not?

Edited by Sausage

My tdi was remapped to 105 by previous owner, i assumed i could dump the file and fiddle with it in vagedcsuite or similar. (that was the plan)

VAGEDCsuite will only open it in hex as it has no checksum. I cant do anything to it apart from look at the hex or edit the hex in there.

WinOLS I can open it despite no checksum, but it cant see any obvious maps within the file for me to alter like torque map, boost map etc it just shows the whole lot in one go and the lines dont look like any other map i've seen.

So this is starting to feel like either custom firmware that needs specific kit or it's corrupted. File size seems off to me as the edc15b used 512kb flash so a full dump should have been 512kb I would think. It could be just stripped down to the bone and correct, but odd i cant seem to read it properly.

I havent driven the car beyond 1st and reverse so dont know what it goes like, until i know what it goes like i wasnt going to be flashing anything to it as that would be pointless. But i certainly expected to just dump my ecu and load it into vagsuite and be able to read it and edit it if desired ready to be flashed back to the car.

I'll keep reading for now...

But basically i'd like to know what anyone elses dump looks like really so i have something to go on. I might buy a cheap 1.4 tdi ecu and see what dumps i get off that.

Edited by Sausage

Downloaded 1.4 tdi standard map and can open it and muck about with it in vagedcsuite no probs, cant do bugger all with my one though... grrrr

Also got an audi A2 tdi modded and standard maps. All are 512kb and load into vagedcsuite fine(missing a map or two though), mine is 204kb even on slow dump.

I'll dump ecu from another car when i get time and see what i get, just to eliminate the lead as a problem.

More reading required....

Edited by Sausage

• 3 months later...

Ok update on my remap file.

The reason mine comes down as 204kb (or anything other than 512kb) is that it has a "no read" tag on the file put there by whoever did the remap. That means MPPS with a clone lead will encrypt it as a smaller useless file on download and save.

The solutions are to use a genuine megabucks lead and software, use an earlier version of MPPS or use a galletto to get the "no read" tag ignored, or read the contents of RAM before saving the file in MPPS.

Well, I've tried everything on that list except the genuine lead, the galletto is useless on edc15p unless it's on a bench harness it seems, so I still dont have my remap file downloaded successfully.

There is a supposed option of pressing f12 during ecu read to bypass "no read" tag, but i really doubt it's that simple, i will try this whenever it decides to stop raining tomorrow.

I have a spare tdi ecu and will be making a bench harness for it soon.

Edited by Sausage

Yay! I finally have my 512kb file now, in Mpps you need to press f12 on file read and / or before file save to bypass "no read" tag, not sure which, i did both for good measure. Dumped twice and opens in software. I am amazed this was the solution after all.

Now i can fiddle and muck it up LOL...

Edited by Sausage
  • Like 1