Battery draining !

Posted Today, 07:55 PM

I've had a 1.0 Lupo for a few months now and for the past few weeks I've had the battery draining from time to time. I have a sub but it's defo not draining the battery. I checked all the fuses and nothing has been blown. I jump started it and when I took off the leads and closed the plastic lid on the fuse box, the engine cut out :S. I looked into the problem a few days later and found that the earth cable is cutting out the engine if I press on it.

Anyone had any similar issues?

Help a brother out lol.

Cheers

from time to time? What does that mean? You come out to it one morning to leave for work and it's dead? Or you leave it for 2 weeks come back, and it's dead?

Edit: Missed the bottom part of your post. Not sure what the crack is with that. Might be an auto-electricians job! Do you know which cable specifically and where?

Edited by Skezza

I know which cable is. If you open the fuse box that sits on top of the battery. There is a black earth cable attached. This then leads into the engine bay some where. Now when I move this cable about or press on it slightly, the engine just cuts out.

It happens from time to time. For example, I didnt use the the car on friday at all. Yesterday I tried starting it and it wouldn't even tick over.

Edited by Parm90

I've realised the fault involves the earth cable but I have no clue how to check that the cable is fine. My question is how to remove it and how to check if there is definately a fault with this cable.

I've had exactly the same issue, it was a problem with the earth from the starter motor in my case - it sounds like you've got the same thing.

My boyfriend got a piece of wire and checked the connection, made sure that it earthed through the wire and then when we took it away it was broke again thus proving its the earth.

Also get a multimeter on it and check all of the connections to the starter motor.

I just changed the earth cable and I haven't had a problem since :)

Thanks for that! I will give that a try and see what happens. Fingers crossed! Really helpful stuff there.

Keep the suggestions and ideas coming through just in case !