Coolant Temp

Lenry

Is it normal for the temp gage to sit at the second / third line (the first group at the far left of the gage well below 70 degrees).

Only when the car has stopped for 3 minutes, does the needle point sky wards at 90 degrees.

I'm assuming the radiator is doing it's job by cooling the coolant when the car is moving.

Only... in the polo the needle points up, after 3-4 minutes, regardless of whether the car is moving.

What's your thoughts?

Use the search function (top right) this has been coverd a bazillion times lol

It's easy enough to change if you know how to use a spanner, can get hold of them from any decent motor factors or euro car parts ect, get some coolant too :).

Hi,

Looking for some ideas.

I checked the coolent temp sensor (cts) this afternoon.

I have a 4 pin yellow banded CTS.

Measured the two left pins, while the engine was warming up from cold and found the resistance going down, this is good :-)

so the CTS is working.

So I thought I would check the voltage going into the CTS, it measured 4.8v.

That's all I have :-) anyone know where I go from here?

I have putchased a new CTS from SEAT but don't want to use it if it's not required (it cost £37).

Yes it did but that was the only time I've ever seen it at 90. I basically to the car for a 15 blast on a country road loop. During the drive the needle didn't get above 55-60. Only when I parked up and sat with the engine running did the needle slowly creep up to 90. I have a spare Temp sensor (bought one from SEAT the other day). Although the one in the car is responding to heat is it worth me changing it anyway? I was thinking of returning it for a £37.50 refund.

Well it sounds like your thermostat is stuck open to me

I was coming round to that conclusion, thanks for the advice. I will oder one to for this weekend. I assume it's easy enough to install (I'll search the forum).

I'll post the results.

Cheers

Edited by Lenry

OK, I'll be carful.

I have a couple of litters of Coolant ready :-)

I confirmed the CTS is OK, by reading the real time temp via ta VAGCOM cable this evening. The took 20 minutes to get to 78 Degrees.

I reset the error code for when I disconnected the CTS cable.