breakdown ideas???

loepan

Ok bear with me,

Drive along not very far but just far enough to reach optimum running temerature, engine cut out battery light comes on would not restart, cranks over but nothing else.

Aa come out poke around the engine, can't see any mech faults its dark though and I tell him about my aftermarket alarm he fiddles with switching it on/off and starts the car...it runs

Get 5mins into driving home, again optimum temperature, engine cuts out.

This time when I try to restart the fuel pump sounds like its all over the place but when the key is turned it cranks and (theft) alarm beeps. After a few trys maybe 10 restarts this turns into not cranking at all a weak alarm beep and dials that act like a flat battery. Turn the key needles flicker etc

Take it to garage, they charge the battery, car starts and runs idle ok for 20mins, have it over night to make sure, won't start again in morning.

Ecu reads 2 errors,

1.Brake light switch

2.Speedo sensor (of which the wife now advises it has played up on her ie needle drops off but soon comes back)

Cleared faults,now onto its 3rd day in garage,they suspect a fuel pressure leak but other than that have no real ideas?

Have it booked in wednesday for work but at this rate it aint going to happen.........called the alarm company its a sa30 scorpion and they reckon its not a immobiliser issue as its not connected to it and sounds the alarm sound when starting sounded like not enough power, which would explain the flat battery but other than the suspect fuel pressure leak clueless any ideas its tdi?

Edited by loepan

I'd check the wiring for the alarm, as if the car was running fine before they installed it, chances are its something to do with that.

if you had a fuel leak then the car wouldnt run right (loss of power under load etc)

check the wiring, thats where id start

when you turn ignition on do you get the glow plug light on?

sounds like the classic relay 109 (or 601 if your upside down) failure, always a good idea to change this anyway as they are so common to fail on tdis, make sure that the new one you fit is a grey one as thats the uprated one, takes about 10mins to do, cost about £15 if garage has had it 3 days and havent changed this yet i would take it to another garage.and hope they are not charging by the hour

just google vw 109 relay and see how common this fault is across the vw range,

Edited by electricracer