Shock absorbers for lowering 40mm front and back ? What brand ?

Fretwell

Should be ok, depends on the mileage the old shocks have done. (By 80-100k shocks will be past their best anyway).

It may be cheaper to replace all 4 in one go.

I've had my rears go on my M3 after fitting lowering springs and bought just a pair, then 5k miles later the fronts go had to replace the front pair anyway.

I ended paying 50% more than getting all 4 done in the first place (in hindsight I should of just bought a full set of coilovers in the first place as it would of work out cheaper than paying 3 sets of labour charges changing springs & then 2 pairs of shocks)

By time you buy springs new and dampers your gonna have nearly paid for a budget coilover set which come with uprated dampers anyway :P

Already have springs . Pair of Monroe dampers 70 quid . Budget coilovers 180 . About 110 difference

By time you buy springs new and dampers your gonna have nearly paid for a budget coilover set which come with uprated dampers anyway :P

Agreed, if you want low and don't care about ride quality budget coilovers is worth doing

Should be ok, depends on the mileage the old shocks have done. (By 80-100k shocks will be past their best anyway).It may be cheaper to replace all 4 in one go.I've had my rears go on my M3 after fitting lowering springs and bought just a pair, then 5k miles later the fronts go had to replace the front pair anyway. I ended paying 50% more than getting all 4 done in the first place (in hindsight I should of just bought a full set of coilovers in the first place as it would of work out cheaper than paying 3 sets of labour charges changing springs & then 2 pairs of shocks)
Good advice . I literally don't have the money for coils be dad paying for shocks as he bought me car for my 18th present . Labour isn't an issue as my cousins a vw mechanic ! He's promised to fit me springs and I'm sure he'd do shockers as well whilst he's doing them ! If not neighbour will give me and dad a hand as he used to build rally cars so he knows his stuff !
Agreed, if you want low and don't care about ride quality budget coilovers is worth doing
I do care ago ride quality though ! Driving over bumps and shitty roads feels horrible with standard sus nevermind budget coils

If you want quality you need proper coilovers kw's, ap's what not, springs are better than budget coilovers. IMO the dampers arent really going to make a different if you get uprated or standard. Depends what you wanna spend if your tight on mney go get some second hand standard ones if not get some fks or something. Also the springs and dampers are really easy to fit. Bolt above the arch in the boot, and bolt down at the bottom of the damper and its out..

If you want quality you need proper coilovers kw's, ap's what not, springs are better than budget coilovers. IMO the dampers arent really going to make a different if you get uprated or standard. Depends what you wanna spend if your tight on mney go get some second hand standard ones if not get some fks or something. Also the springs and dampers are really easy to fit. Bolt above the arch in the boot, and bolt down at the bottom of the damper and its out..

Sorry for calling you a dickhead !

Yeah I'm not tight just I don't have any money to spend at all ! Desperately trying to find a job mate ! I'd get the updated shocks knowing they'd last longer on sheffiled pothole roads ! Yeah I had a look today at the shockers they would be easy to do I need two jacks don't I ?

Sorry for calling you a dickhead ! Yeah I'm not tight just I don't have any money to spend at all ! Desperately trying to find a job mate ! I'd get the updated shocks knowing they'd last longer on sheffiled pothole roads ! Yeah I had a look today at the shockers they would be easy to do I need two jacks don't I ?

No problem lol. I understand money situation im only 17 and im tight on money too :) I did with a jack & stands. just make sure you leave jack under the hub when you take the damper out. Just youtube some guides if your unsure!

Edited by Sammy Lupo

No problem lol. I understand money situation im only 17 and im tight on money too :) I did with a jack & stands. just make sure you leave jack under the hub when you take the damper out. Just youtube some guides if your unsure!

Yeah it sucks putting £3.99 of petrol in haha ! Might have to borrow some axel stands or ask dad if he can help me ! Thing is it goes dear early atm ND I'm at sixth form till like 4 pm

please buy a decent set of spring compressors if youre changing springs otherwise you'll end up injured, or just let your mechanic do it.flying springs can be very painful if not deadly. changing your shocks at the same time as your springs makes the job loads easier

I bought Koni lowering springs that dropped it by 40mm. These are on standard shocks. Difference in handling is immense and it looks respectable now, the ride has not been compromised either. These cost me 90 quid new.

I bought Koni lowering springs that dropped it by 40mm. These are on standard shocks. Difference in handling is immense and it looks respectable now, the ride has not been compromised either. These cost me 90 quid new.

Tbh I don't know what brand of spris they are cost £60 quid new so won't be amazing . But thinking with updated shocks the ride will be so much nicer