AGU vs AUQ vs BAM in my loop

mylittlelupo

So I've spent a long time now reading into the 1.8t conversion, (and yes I have used the search function!) and there doesn't seem to be a definitive "do this, this and this guide" and every conversion I've found so far is different.

I should also probably add in at this stage that I don't plan on doing the actual swap myself (due to a severe lack of somewhere to do it and confidence rather than a lack of knowledge) however I do want to know as much about the different possible engine/box combinations ect.

The target is to have a strong reliable motor that's just got a little bit more oomph when I fancy it. In other words I'm not doing this to be able to go yea I've got a 400BHP tri-turbo NOS monster thing. I'm aiming to be running the 180 brake mark. This is something that is pushing me away from the BAM as iirc they are 225BHP as standard?

I'm thinking of either going with the AGU, or the AUQ, preferably the AUQ for the VVT and drive by wire, and was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice either way on which is a better engine, or if I'm completely off the mark and should be looking at a different lump?

Also gearboxes, I'm sure I've read in a build thread that the 6 speed box wont fit into the lupo, whereas the 5 speed does, (is this the o2A box?)

The company I'm planning on using say on conversions they normally run a Revo stage 2 with immob delete, which brings that 150-180 brake nearer 220. The only mods engine wise that would be going on is a custom front mount intercooler and a custom ehaust, and was wondering if there are any essential bits that may need changing/upgrading when upping the power like this? Or should the stock internals cope fine with that?

Sorry for the long post, I get a bit to sucked into all of this.

Thanks in advanced for any help/advice :)

i would go for the AGU due to the big ported head and an abundance of upgrades. go for a standard ECU remapped to lose the clocks/immobiliser etc. these sell on ebay for £100.

i am personally using the AUQ engine in my conversion as it was a freebie. and i'm running megasquirt ECU which again was a freebie. you can check my progress and have a look at whats involved by searching facebook (i made a facebook page for ma car lol) "weeredarosa deewhy".

gearbox, im using an o2a from a mk3 golf tdi. 6 speed wont fit. only use the o2a if you want mechanical clutch and not hydraulic. o2j for hudraulic due to the positioning of the reverse light switch.

I went for a BAM, but you will find that the BAM/AYP fetch higher prices, due to having a K04 turbo, forged pistons/crank and just generally they're more desireable, what with their 225bhp/210bhp as standard.

I'm running mine stage 2, which equates to 285bhp (3" downpipe, fmic, 3" tip, filter etc) and it is absolute overkill, but it's great fun. The way i saw it was that if i'm going to go through all the hassle of carrying out the conversion, why not do it properly for the sake an extra few hundred quid on an engine.

You're quite right in expecting an AUM (late 150bhp) or AUQ (180bhp) to hit the right side of 200bhp with just a remap. Stage 2 expect a little more, maybe 220bhp, but that's the limit of a standard K03s.

In my opinion, you want to be looking for something with a K03s, as the K03 will only allow upto around 180bhp reliably. Also, with regards to the comment above, i really wouldn't let the big port head sway your decision on. A standard small port head head will flow over 400bhp, so it has no bearing on anything really. Although the AGU will probably be one of the cheaper engines to buy, along with the ARZ, which is also 150bhp.

Power limit wise, a BAM will take up to around 300bhp, then with a change of rods, will take up to around 400bhp. The other 1.8t's take considerably less, maybe upto around 250bhp. Although there is speculation as to whether the AGU has forged internals or not. Personally, i suspect not.

I also went for an 02A gearbox (code: CTN), which again, is from a tdi to give more relaxed ratios. I went this route as it's hydraulic clutch and cable change, to match the standard GTI box, which made life a bit easier and 70mph in 5th is around 2250rpm. ...Yes, that gives a theoretical top speed of nearly 180mph and i have no reason to believe it wouldn't pull it either!

Not much info really but I'm going for similar power figures in my mk1 at first so I'm using an AGU which can easily make 180/200 with very minimal work.