white smoke problem air filter pipe white stuff

olirip

hello hope you can help,

got white smoke coming out of exhaust not too thick would it be down to having white stuff in air filter breather pipe, cleaned out most of it and put new air filter in as the other one was oily

also when i bought the car the coolant was very watery and slightly brown (think they just put water in there) and it doesnt seem to be loosing liquid , if it was a head gasket problem how much coolant would you be loosing over say 10 mile journey ?

yeah could do a compression test has it done many miles ? white smoke out the back of the exhaust means it burning oil has it done many miles ?
has done 96k have looked again this morning and the coolant/water is clear i think it was the colour of the tank making it look brown( i dipped some paper in and it was clear) checked oil again and its goodcould it be condensation in exhaust as its been standing a few days without driving it ?girl i bought it off topped it up with some oil even though it didnt need it really is it possible incorrect oil mixing with original oil making smoke Edited by olirip

White smoke is water/moisture. blue smoke is oil. if you do a lot of short trips so car never runs up to temp properly you can get white ****e under oil filer cap, breathers etc. if you decent miles at temperature the moisture is coming from somewhere else. if youre not loosing any coolant and just got the car, it might be from a previous problem, if so i would give oil change etc, clean out all breathers and oil cap, flush coolant out and refill with water/antifreeze mix. normal mix is 33% anti freeze but you can go to 50% if your engine runs slightly hot. now head gasket probs either dump water into the oil ways or put compression into the water ways or both. if blowing into water ways with expansion tank cap off you would see bubbles and be able to smell petrol/exhaust fumes, if water goes into oil youre water level would drop by the amount of the leak and you get the white ****e. for small leaks to get you over put a bottle of K-seal in and monitor.

to clean coolant bottle remove and use a dish washer tablet and shake, blocking the holes of course, or buy new they are cheap.

• Like 1

White smoke is water/moisture. blue smoke is oil. if you do a lot of short trips so car never runs up to temp properly you can get white ****e under oil filer cap, breathers etc. if you decent miles at temperature the moisture is coming from somewhere else. if youre not loosing any coolant and just got the car, it might be from a previous problem, if so i would give oil change etc, clean out all breathers and oil cap, flush coolant out and refill with water/antifreeze mix. normal mix is 33% anti freeze but you can go to 50% if your engine runs slightly hot. now head gasket probs either dump water into the oil ways or put compression into the water ways or both. if blowing into water ways with expansion tank cap off you would see bubbles and be able to smell petrol/exhaust fumes, if water goes into oil youre water level would drop by the amount of the leak and you get the white ****e. for small leaks to get you over put a bottle of K-seal in and monitor.

to clean coolant bottle remove and use a dish washer tablet and shake, blocking the holes of course, or buy new they are cheap.

thanks very much