Vibration

Alan w

Have done a search on here and there seems to have been a few people with this problem but no definitive answer as to what the cause may be

Car is a 2001 lupo Gti with 6 speed box.Basically I'm getting a slight vibration through the steering wheel,which can be felt mthrough the car, under load.its more apparent on smooth surfaces and in higher gears

I have tried all the ovbious stuff.swaped wheels.checked suspension components.ran the car on a ramp and everything looks ok.it feels like the vibration is comming from the left hand drive shaft so I swaped it with another one and still the same.

Im starting to think its differential/gear box related and I'm about the remove the box to split it and inspect.just said I'd ask on here and see if anybody has has any similar issues

this may sound silly but are the wheels balanced or a weight fallen off, could be a funny wheel bearing maybe.

That was my initial thought. All 4 wheels balanced perfectly just recently. I even swaped wheels from donor vehicle.bearings are perfect no noise or play. I even striped off the front brakes so I could get my hand directly onto the hub to feel for any notch but alas they are spot on.

I really can't think what would cause vibration under load, engine mounts okay I would assume unless it's moon mileage. Steering rack is correctly torqued to the sub frame? Downpipe isn't vibrating on anything? Maybe a warped disc is juddering on the caliper as you accelerate.....really I'm out of ideas now unless your s/wheel has a vibration function :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Forgot to update this. I found the problem shortly after posting.right hand inner cv joint was worn badly in one spot.

47510384-B64B-4E05-80EC-836D8D4AFC8B-5001-000001B1A1537D12.jpg

The only way I could tell was the strip down the cv joints and inspect. No play could be felt when I had the drive shaft in my hands. Replaced the cv cleaned and greased the other 3 and its like a new car

• 2 months later...