Crankshaft Pulley Bolt ?

Jonesy123

changing cam belt and came across the crankshaft and was wondering what kind of bolt it was and also what kind of thread is it in other words which way to loosen it is it a normal thread or reversed?

Also is there any other bolts I may need special tools for throughout the job.

Thanks

what is it the 16v sport ? the crankshaft bolt just use a 12 sided 19mm socket and to undo it is left do it up is right and just lock the cams off with drill bits and use tip x to mark it up

Yeah 16v it is mate thanks for that, manage to get it off, confused looking at the markings now when timing it it has a mark saying 2v and one saying 4v which mark to I line it up too ?

Yeah 16v it is mate thanks for that, manage to get it off, confused looking at the markings now when timing it it has a mark saying 2v and one saying 4v which mark to I line it up too ?

how did you lock the pulley to get the bolt off without just turning over the engine i had this problem

how did you lock the pulley to get the bolt off without just turning over the engine i had this problem

a big screw driver and alot of pressure ha and hoped nothing broke.

Also do you know the torque setting for the head bolts ?

torque settings for the head bolts you doing head gasket as well ? .. the markings for the cams to lock you will see to holes on the cam pulley and two holes at the back of the pulleys with threads turn the engine till both line up and on the crank pulley you will see on the back a little indent that will line up with a notich on the engine on the right hand side

Edited by FatelError89

trying to get it off now and can't find anywhere to try stop it with the screwdriver

would it work locking the cams and then trying to take off the crank nut or could that damage something in the process?

ok it finally turned but it was the whole pulley with it while the cam's were locked and made a stange noise and won't fully turn over by hand

now ****ting myself and thinking the belt's jumped but not sure if thats even possible or i'm just being paranoid?

sounds the its jumped a tooth on the belt :S .. what ever you do don`t start the engine .. it wont turn fully does it pretty much turn all the way round ? if it does then wont go no further sounds like the piston is hitting the valve .. .do you know anyone with a battery nut gun ? you have too take the pulley off and release the cambelt off the crank and turn the crank till you get the number one piston on tdc and leave the cams locked while you do it

it turns about 1/5 of a revolution either way then just stops i don't own anything like that just the basic tools, ****

i've not started it or anything, every things put back together and just sitting there for now no idea what to do next

Yeah easy as that while little pressure its because when your undoing the bolt its turn the engine backwards and taking the tension off the belt allowing it to jump a tooth or so .. yeah be the piston hitting as the cams are locked its not allowing them to close leaving it to hit the piston .. only thing i can think of is to nut gun off the bolt ..

Yeah I recently sanapped the link belt and bent 4 outlets and 2 inlets very slightly. So meaning its all apart thought I would change everything.

I tightened the bolts to the gasket kit which stated 30nm, -90deg 30nm, +90deg,+90deg.

Manage to crack the bolt on crank by locking it with screw driver against engine block more luck than judgement really haha.

torque settings for the head bolts you doing head gasket as well ? .. the markings for the cams to lock you will see to holes on the cam pulley and two holes at the back of the pulleys with threads turn the engine till both line up and on the crank pulley you will see on the back a little indent that will line up with a notich on the engine on the right hand side

Hit another question would you know what the torque setting is for tensioner

I just tightened them too much have now stripped the inside thread, any idea what size bolt/thread is in the bottom tensioner?

Edited by Jonesy123

20nm for them oh dear ! mine done that had to helicoil it .. the thread is 8m .. you will have to drill it bigger and helicoil with the kit to get it to hold

Thanks a lot mate, yeah just been researching those will have to get a kit tomorrow.

Edited by Jonesy123

nope problem mate .. it will say on the box which drill bit size you need as well

Okay thanks, the kit will be a 8mil kit is it then that will be the correct kit for it. Any chance you can remember what one you got ha, those tensioners are silly idea like that last bit to do to got everything else on haha.